Looking for best through-the-wall air conditioner, you've come to the right place.
This through-the-wall ac unit buying guide is your place to research this type of room air conditioner.
Difference Between a Window AC and a Through the Wall AC
A through the wall air conditioner is much like a window air conditioner.
The main difference besides installation location is that a through the wall unit has a sleeve that is first installed into the prepared wall space. The AC then slides into the sleeve. More differences are listed below.
AKA: Through the wall ac units are also called built in, thru-wall, wall mounted, in wall, wall air conditioners and similar variations.
Our Window AC Guide: We have completed a large, comprehensive Window Air Conditioner Buying Guide with Brand Reviews and much more. Because the two room air conditioner types are so similar, there is a lot of information relevant to through the wall air conditioners too.
This is a more concise guide.
If you don’t find the information here that you’re looking for, then it will likely be available in our other in-depth window ac reviews:
Through the Wall AC FAQs
Here are common questions asked about through the wall ac units.
- Q: What wall AC sizes are available?
A: Units are made from 8,000 to 25,000 BTUs, but most are in the 8K to 14K BTU range.
- Q: Do through the wall air conditioners remove humidity?
A: Yes, just like any air conditioner, a wall unit will condense moisture from inside your home and drain it to the outside. Several pints of air per hour can be removed, and the lower humidity allows you to feel cooler.
- Q: Can a wall unit cool more than one room?
A: They serve a single room like a bedroom or one large open zone like a living room / kitchen area.
- Q: How much power does a built in air conditioner need?
A: Most require a 110-120V outlet. Larger units require a 220-240V outlet. There is no hard and fast dividing line. For example, LG makes 10,000 BTU units in both 115V and 230V models.
- Q: What’s in the Box? What’s not in the box?
Yes: The through the wall air conditioner and a trim kit are standard.
Probably: Most units also include a remote control, but not all.
Probably Not: A few units include a wall sleeve, but most don’t. Sleeves are sold separately as an accessory when not included. Some homeowners prefer a finished wall opening rather than a sleeve.
- Q: What do EER and CEER mean?
A: They are efficiency ratings. EER is an energy efficiency rating. CEER is a newer rating that built-in ACs must use. It is a combined energy efficiency rating. The difference is that it factors in energy used by the wall unit while it is plugged in but not running. CEER is slightly lower than EER on through the wall air conditioners for this reason.
The higher the ratings, the less energy the wall unit uses. Depending on CEER and size of the unit, some are certified by Energy Star.
- Q: Do wall air conditioners heat too?
A: Some wall units have built-in heat elements, like a space heater. They do not heat with the same technology as they cool, unlike split system heat pumps or ductless mini split heat pumps.
- Q: What is an Energy Guide?
It is a label that includes important information:
- Q: Is a through the wall air conditioner a room air conditioner?
A: Yes. Window, wall and portable air conditioners are all types of room air conditioner.
- Q: Is a wall air conditioner the same as a PTAC?
A: No. A packaged terminal air conditioner or PTAC is the hotel-type unit that sits on the floor of the room.
Wall Air Conditioners vs Window Air Conditioners
How does a through the wall ac unit differ from a window air conditioner?
They are mostly the same, but have a few differences. Let’s compare window ACs to wall ACs:
Through the Wall Air Conditioner Pros and Cons
In the Window AC Guide, we discussed pros and cons vs. central ac unit. If you’re deciding between a central AC and one or more wall units, that’s a helpful discussion.
Here are pros and cons of a wall unit vs. a window unit.
Through the wall air conditioner pros: Here are reasons to consider a wall air conditioner.
Things We Like
Here are the through the wall air conditioner cons:
Things We Don't Like
Through the Wall Air Conditioner Cost
This table shows price ranges for the most common size wall mounted ac units.
Cost of AC
$330 - $740
$380 - $770
$415 - $800
$500 - $950
The price ranges in the table are quite wide. Here are the factors that affect cost.
- Efficiency: Energy Star wall air conditioners cost 15% to 30% more than the least efficient models.
- Supplemental heat: Including a space heater in the unit raises the cost by $50 to $150.
- Features: The more features a unit has, the higher the cost. Popular features are discussed in the last section.
- Quality: Brand quality ranges from basic to better to best. See the next section for the major brands and their quality ranking.
Through the Wall AC Brand Reviews
These are the top-selling brands and an overview of what they offer.
Arctic King (Basic): Arctic King through-the-wall air conditioners offer affordable prices and good features in units from 8,000 to 14,000 BTUs. They are sold widely including in home improvement stores like Home Depot.
Koldfront (Basic): Koldfront through-the-wall air conditioners enjoy good online sales. They range from 8K to 14.5K BTUs. Some are packaged with a sleeve for convenience. They are one of the most affordable through the wall air conditioner brands.
Frigidaire (Better and Best): Frigidaire has a large lineup of wall ac units from 8K to 14K. AC-only and AC with supplemental heat models are available. The lineup is called Frigidaire Built-in room air conditioners. About 30% of them are Energy Star through the wall air conditioners.
Friedrich (Better and Best): Friedrich’s Uni-Fit line is sized to fit into universal wall sleeve sizes for easy installation. They are officially called Friedrich thru-the-wall air conditioners.
The Friedrich WallMaster air conditioners are premium wall units that cost more than shown in the table above. WallMaster built-in air conditioners have commercial-grade components, though they’re sold as residential units too. The WallMaster Series is available in capacities from 8,000 to 14,500 BTU and cost two to five times that of most brands.
GE (Better and Best): GE makes a pricey but limited range of built-in room air conditioners. Sizes are 6,000 to 12,000 BTUs. Most are Energy Star, and all come with a remote. About a third of the units have supplemental heater.
Haier (Better): Haier makes five through the wall air conditioner models from 8K to 12K BTUs. They are called Haier Wall and Built-in air conditioners.
LG (Better): There are about 10 LG through-the-wall air conditioners. They range from 8K to 12K BTUs and four of the models have supplemental heater.
How to Size a Wall Air Conditioner
The US Department of Energy has developed a sizing chart for room air conditioners.
Area To Be Cooled (square feet)
Capacity Needed (BTUs per hour)
100 up to 150
150 up to 250
250 up to 300
300 up to 350
350 up to 400
400 up to 450
450 up to 550
550 up to 700
700 up to 1,000
1,000 up to 1,200
1,200 up to 1,400
1,400 up to 1,500
1,500 up to 2,000
2,000 up to 2,500
It is a basic guideline with suggestions for adjusting the size based on factors in your home:
- Reduce AC capacity by 10% if the area is heavily shaded
- Increase AC capacity by 10% if the area gets direct sunshine
- Add 600 BTUs for each additional person typically in the room
- Add 4,000 BTUs of capacity if AC will cool a kitchen
Here’s an example.
Consider a large room 16x25:
1. The room is 400 square feet. Per the chart, the through the wall air conditioner should be 10,000 BTUs.
2. The room is on the west side of the house, so gets direct sunlight in the afternoon and evening. According to the DOE guidelines, increase capacity by 10% or 1,000 BTUs.
3. Only one or two people typically use the room, so consider raising capacity by 600 BTUs.
4. Total cooling capacity required is 11,600 BTUs.
Your options from most brands are 10K or 12K BTUs, though there are a few 11K BTU units made.
In a warm climate, it makes sense to choose a 12,000 BTU unit. This gives you some cushion too if there are more people in the room.
If your climate is cool or you have a lot of cloudy weather, then an 11K through the wall air conditioner might be fine.
How to Buy the Right Through the Wall Air Conditioner
Here are a few built-in AC buying tips that will ensure you like the model you choose.
Get the size right: Proper sizing is critical to choosing a wall ac unit that will adequately cool the space without. If the AC is much too big, it will cool the room quickly and shut off before it can remove sufficient humidity. You’ll have cool, damp air, and that’s not very comfortable.
Obviously, if it is too small, it won’t keep up with the heat.
Efficiency: If the wall air conditioner is your main source of cooling, then we recommend investing in a unit with Energy Star efficiency. If it supplements a central AC and doesn’t run a lot, then a less efficient, more affordable wall mounted room air conditioner is a good choice.
Features: We suggest that you don’t get sold on features you won’t use. But it’s worth paying for those you’ll enjoy.
Your main through the wall air conditioner feature options are:
Timer and programmable start: These features allow you to program when the unit will turn on and how long it will run. Benefit: Using a timer and programming the unit’s cycle is the best way to save on energy cost and still have a comfortable room. Program the AC to turn on shortly before you want to use the room, and it will be cool. Plus, you won’t waste energy by leaving on a unit when nobody is in the room.
Supplemental heat: A small space heating element is built into the air conditioner. Benefit: These heaters are designed to supplement a furnace in winter or to add a little heat on a cool spring or autumn day.
Dehumidify mode: This mode turns the AC into a dehumidifier that removes moisture but doesn’t cool. Benefit: Sometimes the air is damp and cool. You don’t want air conditioning, but removing some of the humidity would be nice.
You maybe also like another post: Best Whole House Humidifier
Best Through the Wall Air Conditioners for 2021
Here are the top models in important categories.
Special Note: Some of these models go in and out of stock as global shipping remains uncertain. If your preferred model isn’t currently in stock, try again in a couple days or move on to another one of the best through the wall air conditioners. We do our best to make sure you have choices that are in stock in the right size for your space.
Most Efficient Wall Air Conditioner
This highly rated yet affordable Energy Star certified AC delivers 8,000 BTUs of cooling. It will reduce energy costs while making any space very comfortable.
Koldfront has become one of the leading room air conditioner brands through quality, dependability and low-cost value. This unit is so good and available in other sizes that we recommend purchasing it in all the sizes you need to cool your home.
Here are the features of this unit you might consider:
- 8,000 BTUs of cooling – but also available in 10K, 12K and 14K models
- 115V outlet – no need for a 230V (115V models also available in 10K and 12K options – choose the link, and pick your size)
- Compact size @ 20.38 x 24.25 x 14.5 inches
- 8K unit serves up to 325 square feet
- 24-hour Timer
- Energy Saver mode (but don’t expect powerful cooling in this mode – it’s OK when outside temperatures aren’t extremely hot)
- Dehumidifier function removes moisture on cool, muggy days when you want drier air but not AC
- 4 fan speeds for good climate control
- Easy-clean filter allows you to keep the air in your room fresher
Premium – Best Features in a Wall Air Conditioner
Friedrich is known for high-end appliances that cost a little more but deliver quality, convenience and the features most preferred.
Uni-Fit means that the AC is compact and fits more than one sleeve size. In other words, it will fit nicely into a larger sleeve without major gaps due to a special Universal Fit trim ring that, according to Friedrich, will “bridge the gap [and] fill gaps up to 1” on the sides and ½” on the top of the unit.”
Offers WiFi, Alexa and Google Home compatibility!
This Friedrich Uni-Fit through-the-wall AC offers these benefits:
- Works in sleeves from 24.5” to 27” wide
- Energy Star Efficiency
- 11,500 BTUs of cooling power for about 350 square feet
- 6-way airflow, so every part of the room gets refreshing, cool air
- Air is filtered to improve indoor air quality
- 3 fans speeds plus Auto which adjusts the speed to the cooling needs as determined by the thermostat
- Sleep Mode
- 24-hour programmable timer
- Easy to use digital controls
- Anti-intrusion security fitting
- Washable anti-microbial filters
Best Value Wall Air Conditioner
It’s hard to beat Koldfront when it comes to value. In fact, this unit was considered for the Best Features category. This is an Energy Star air conditioner, so it will keep cooling costs in check. The AC is available in 8,000, 10,000 and 12,000 BTU sizes too, so you’ll find the right size for your room. It has Dehumidification mode, 24-hour timer, 4-speed fan and more.
Here are the features you might like in this top-selling 14,000 BTU through the wall AC:
- Cools up to 700 square feet – though we recommend it for 500 to 600 square feet to make sure it gives you the cooling and dehumidifying power you expect
- Sleep Mode
- 24-hour Timer
- Full-feature Remote for ultimate convenience
- Easy-to-read, bright digital display
- 4 Fan Speeds – Low/Med/High and Auto
- Dry Mode dries the air without cooling it – ideal for a cool, clammy day in spring or fall
Quietest Wall Air Conditioner
This unit runs at just 53db on low and only 56db on the highest speed. With Energy Star efficiency, it will reduce energy use and cost too.
The Quiet Kool has plenty of features too including timer, remote, auto-restart after power outages and a 3-speed fan. Just keep in mind that it requires a 230V outlet, not your standard 115V outlet. If you have a 230V outlet or have one installed, this unit will pump out the cool air like no other.
The excellent features on this unit include:
- Universal trim kit should work with your existing wall sleeve
- Energy Star Rated for savings on your utility bills
- 5-year compressor warranty is very good
- Quiet operation makes it a good choice for the bedroom, nursery or home office
- Multiple climate control settings allows you to optimize indoor comfort on hot and/or humid days
Best Wall AC with Space Heating
This through the wall air conditioner enjoys the highest ratings in its class with about 90% positive reviews. It delivers more than 10,000 BTUs of heat with the 3450-watt space heater, enough to take the chill off the room.
Features include a timer, remote and four modes to heat and cool the way you want.
The features on this Koldfront AC/Heater make it an ideal choice for year-round use in an area not adequately served by the home’s central HVAC system. We recommend it for bedroom suites, office additions, converted attics or garages and similar locations that need a boost in AC and heating.
It’s top features are:
- Air Conditioning and Heating
- Serves about 500 square feet
- Has a tight seal, so outside air won’t seep in – and cooled or heated air won’t escape
- Full-feature remote for convenience
- Sleep and energy saver modes
- 3 fan speeds; 4-way airflow
Best Smart Wall Air Conditioner
This is a next-generation smart room AC with your option of controlling it by voice with Alexa or Google Home or with your smart device and the app. Either way, these smart AC features give you control and allow you to save money by running the air conditioning only when you need it.
Use the app to turn on the unit 30 minutes before you get home (rather than leaving it running all day), and the room will be comfortable when you arrive.
Top features are:
- WiFi and Voice control
- Energy Star certified
- Digital and remote control for use when you’re home
- Serves up to 700 square feet – though we recommend it for about 600 square feet to ensure you’ve got the cooling and air-drying power you desire
- 8-way air distribution (most ACs offer 4-way airflow)
- 4 fan speeds
- Programmable Timer
- Excellent 5-year compressor warranty
Best Energy Star 10,000 BTU AC
This newer Midea model gets great ratings to go with effective, efficient cooling and a lot of the top features consumers prefer.
Top features are:
- Energy Star Certified to save you money
- AC, Dehumidifier and Fan-only Modes for maximum indoor climate control
- Sleep Mode and Energy Saver Mode for convenience and cost savings
- 4-way airflow balances temperatures throughout the room with louvers that automatically swing
- 115 Volts – so it works in any standard wall outlet, no extra wiring needed
Best Ecofriendly R-32 Refrigerant Wall AC
R-32 is a newer refrigerant that is much healthier for the environment than even the ecofriendly R-410A that most wall air conditioners use.
The Global Warming Potential (GWP) of R-32 is just 675 compared with 2,000+ for R-410A. Neither of these refrigerants harm ozone.
Here are the top features of this outstanding LG through the wall AC:
- R-32 refrigerant is environmentally safer than other types
- Full-feature remote for total convenience
- Timer is programmable for energy savings
- Installation kit included
- LED display is easy to use