This is a list and review of the best 15000 BTU window air conditioners plus a short Sizing Guide to assist in your purchase decision.
Quick Overviews with bullet points of the top features allow a quick purchase.
Fuller Best 15000 BTU Window ACs Reviews provide more details for readers that want further research.
Here is the Navigation for this post:
Sizing a Window AC – Make Sure it’s the Right Size
Once you get into the 15000 BTU range of window air conditioners, they’re putting out a lot of cold air.
Is it too much? Too little? About right?
It starts with square footage of the space you plan to cool.
This chart shows that 15K units are meant to serve 650 to 750 square feet.
|Space in Square Feet||BTUs per Hour Needed|
|150 – 250||6000 BTUs|
|250 – 350||8000 BTUs|
|350 – 450||10000 BTUs|
|450 – 550||12000 BTUs|
|550 – 650||14000 BTUs|
|650 – 750||15000 BTUs|
It is too large for most spaces less than 600 square feet, unless that space is especially warm – discussed shortly and in the Sizing Guide.
For example, in a 400 square foot bedroom, these units would be too loud and probably make the space uncomfortably cool. Not much humidity will be removed. The room will cool quickly, and the compressor will shut off before it has a chance to remove much humidity.
When any type of AC is too large, it does something called short-cycling. The unit comes on, quickly cools the space, and shuts off. On/off, on/off in shorter bursts than normal. Results?
- Too much noise
- Not enough dehumidifying – Your room will end up cool and clammy
Your space will be warm and sticky, and that’s no better.
Just Right – That’s the Goal
OK. We start with space 650 to 750 square feet. If the room is on a first floor and doesn’t get a full afternoon of direct sunlight, it will likely be sufficient in size.
However, consider a larger unit if several of these are true – the room is sunny in the afternoon, is on the second floor, adjoins enclosed and uncooled space like the attic or if the central AC doesn’t do much for the room at all.
There is complete window AC sizing information in the Buying Guide below. It gives specific sizing details.
Best 15000 BTU Window Air Conditioners – Overviews
We’ve researched the top options and have chosen three. Yes, just three. That’s all we can recommend.
If there were more that fit our high standards, we would list them. But we aren’t going to suggest inferior models just to have a longer list.
All these units are rated for up to 700 square feet.
TCL Energy Star 15,000 BTU
- Energy Star Certified
- AC/Dry/Fan-only Modes
- 4.2 Pints/Hour Dehumidification
- 115V Outlet
- 24-Hr Timer & Remote
Amana 15,000 BTU
- 115V Fits Standard Outlet
- 3 Cooling Settings + Sleep Mode
- 3.5 Pints/Hour Dehumidifying
- 6-foot Cord
- Programmable Timer & Remote
Perfect Aire Energy Star
- Energy Star Certified
- Full-function Remote
- 3 Cool & Fan Speeds
- Auto Mode – Set & Forget!
- Eco-friendly R32 Refrigerant
Good for Environment
Best 15000 BTU Window AC Reviews
Here are complete 15000 BTU window air conditioner reviews including pros, cons, features and more.
#1 TCL Energy Star 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Remote Control
This Energy Star certified 15K window AC uses a 115V outlet, so you won’t have to call an electrician for an expensive 220/240-volt line installation.
This unit also does a very good job removing moisture, and when the air is drier, it’s more comfortable. It’s 4.2 pints per hour dehumidification translates to a potential of 12.6 gallons per day.
- Features: Low/Medium/High cooling settings plus 3 Fan Speeds, so you can customize your air conditioning. The Remote allows you to control all AC functions. The 24-hour Timer gives you On/Off control for convenience, energy savings and to ensure the room is cool when you get home.
- Volts: 115 volts – for use in a standard outlet.
- Ratings: Close to 90% of all reviews are positive, and that is very good for a window air conditioner.
- Pros: Energy Star, excellent features, long 8’ cord gives you plug options, very good dehumidification and high ratings.
- It has 4 modes: AC, Dry – which dehumidifies the air w/o cooling it, Fan-only mode to move the air and/or provide “white noise” and Auto mode. On Auto, set the temperature you want, and the unit will select the best mode and settings to achieve it.
- Cons: It’s fairly loud, but all 15,000 BTU units are.
- Bottom Line: This is the best 15000 BTU window air conditioner available. It is eco-friendly and has a good range of features.
Note – If you need other room/window ACs, this TCL Series is available in 6000 and 8000 BTU models too. Select the link and choose the size or sizes you want.
#2 Amana 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner with Remote Control
Amana makes one of the top lineups of window air conditioners available.
This is an Energy Star-certified window AC.
This series is offered in 8 models from 6000 to 24000 BTUs. If you like it and need an AC for other rooms, select the link, and pick your size or sizes.
- Features: Low/Med/High Cooling, 3 Speed Fan, Eco Mode raises the thermostat setting to use less energy (but it might not keep you cool in very warm/muggy conditions), Washable Filter, Remote with full functionality and Programmable Timer.
- Volts: 115 Volts – so it is compatible with any 110/120V outlet. You won’t need to install a 220/240V line.
- Ratings: About 70% of ratings and reviews are positive. Those that don’t like it either say it is loud or that it arrived broken. Amazon has a good return policy with free shipping, of course, to alleviate hassle.
- Pros: Good features and dehumidifying power. The remote and timer add convenience and help reduce energy costs.
- Cons: Be sure your window is large enough! It must be at least 28 inches wide. This is a big unit, as all 15000 BTU ACs are.
- Bottom Line: If you’ve had an Amana AC in the past and it worked well for you, this unit will likely do the same.
#3 Perfect Aire 15,000 BTU 115-Volt Energy Star Window Air Conditioner
Best for the Environment
Those concerned about their ACs impact on the environment appreciate two things about this Perfect Aire window air conditioner.
First, it is Energy Star certified. It uses about 15% less energy than average.
Secondly, it uses new-generation R32 refrigerant. R32 does not deplete ozone. And it has a lower GWP (global warming potential) than R410A, 675 to 2,088.
- Features: It is loaded. Full-feature Remote, 3 AC settings, 3 Fan Speeds, Auto Mode that chooses the right setting to give you the climate control you want. There’s a Timer and a Dirty Filter notification light. Dry Mode dries the air but doesn’t cool the air. Dry Mode is ideal for cool days when the high humidity makes the room chilly and clammy. Dry the air, and be more comfortable.
- Volts: 115 Volts
- Ratings: This unit has excellent reviews from users. They appreciate the reliability and the environmentally friendly performance.
- Pros: Eco-friendly and the best features in its class.
- Cons: Requires a window at least 28” wide, and that’s about standard for 15000 BTU window units.
- Bottom Line: Consider this model if finding a green window air conditioner is a top priority. This one has excellent features too.
15000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Sizing Guide
Here is more information on sizing a window AC followed by additional resources you might find useful.
Sizing your Window AC
As noted above, an AC that is too big isn’t much better than one that is too small. The small one won’t cool the room enough. The big one won’t remove as much humidity unless it runs all the time and makes the room colder than you’d like.
15000 BTUs is enough to cool 650 to 750 square feet, all else being equal.
It might not be large enough if the room has any more than one of these conditions:
- Ceilings higher than 8 feet
- A wall facing west
- It’s a kitchen, and the stove or range are on in the afternoon or early evening
- The room is on an upper floor – and heat rises, so those rooms need extra cooling power
- The room adjoins a garage or attic, two rooms that tend to get very warm on hot, sunny days
If the room is less than 700 square feet, the AC will be OK with one of these factors.
If the room is 700-750 square feet, then we recommend adding 1000 BTUs for each of the issues your room has.
#1 A 725 square foot master bedroom on the first floor with walls facing east and north – A 15000 BTU window AC would be large enoug.
#2 A 700 square foot bonus room faces south (+1000 BTUs), is on the second floor (+1000 BTUs) and is next to the attic (+1000 BTUs). This room would be better served by an 18000 BTU window air conditioner.