We’ve compiled a list of the best 10000 BTU window air conditioners.
There are overviews with bullet points and then full reviews that explain the pros, cons, features and “bottom line” for all the units.
The reviews are followed by a brief sizing and buying guide that will assist you in making a purchase decision you’re happy with.
These 10,000 BTU window ACs are rated for up to 400 or 450 square feet. If the room faces west and gets a lot of sun, if it is on an upper floor or otherwise is really warm, you might need a bigger window AC.
See our Buying Guide below to make sure you have the right size.
Best 10000 BTU Window AC Reviews
Here’s a comprehensive look at the top 6 10,000 BTU window air conditioners available.
We’ve picked a top AC for the most popular categories.
#1 Koldfront WAC10003WCO 10000 BTU 115V Window Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier and Remote Control
This is an Energy Star certified AC that will reduce energy use and cost. It is loaded with features and gets very high ratings for performance and dependability.
These quality traits make it our top choice as the Best 10,000 BTU window air conditioner.
Features: This Koldfront window AC is loaded:
- AC, Sleep, Auto and Dry Mode. Dry Mode, aka Dehumidifier Mode, dries the air but doesn’t cool it. Dry Mode is ideal for damp, cool climates for days you’d like the air to be less “clammy,” and drier, more comfortable without making it cooler.
- R32 Refrigerant is easier on the environment than the R410A used in most window units. Neither one depletes ozone, but the global warming potential, or GWP, of R32 (675) is much lower than the GWP of R410A (2,088).
- Energy Star efficiency.
- 24-hour Timer.
- Remote with full functionality.
- Dirty filter alert.
Volts: 115 volts, so you can use an existing outlet rather than installing a 220/240V outlet.
Ratings: Nearly 90% of users recommend this unit, giving it high ratings and excellent reviews.
Pros: Energy Star efficiency, R32 refrigerant, loaded with features, very dependable. And the price is quite competitive.
Cons: There are very few negative reviews. A few of these units arrive damaged or in non-working condition.
Bottom Line: Frankly, this unit is the best on the list and it isn’t expensive.
The next model is outstanding too with many of the same benefits and one advantage this unit doesn’t have – a temperature-sensing remote.
#2 TOSOT 10,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner – 2019 Model
This is the unit with a temperature sensing remote. Keep the remote near you, and the unit won’t stop cooling until the air where you are is as cool as you want it to be.
When the thermostat is in the AC, it senses the air immediately around the AC. Of course that air is cooler than what is across the room, so the AC compressor shuts off before the whole room is cool.
This TOSOT window AC is also Energy Star certified and has a lot of good features.
Features: There’s a lot to like here.
- Temperature-sensing remote that helps ensure you are cool wherever in the room you are – as long as you keep the remote near you.
- R32 refrigerant that is better for the environment.
- AC, Fan-only, Sleep and Dry/Dehumidify Modes. The Dry Mode dries the air on cool, damp days without making the air colder.
- Energy Star efficiency.
Volts: 115 Volts
Ratings: Between 85% and 93% of verified buyers give this unit high marks for performance and reliability.
Pros: The various modes allow you to customize indoor climate control. It’s efficient and safe for the environment.
Cons: Arriving damaged, a little louder and expected and other minor concerns are raised by about 5% of users. All window ACs face similar complaints, accept most have a higher percentage of negative reviews.
Bottom Line: This is probably the best option for you if the “follow-me” thermostat, called Smart Temperature Control, is an attractive feature.
#3 AmazonBasics Window-Mounted Air Conditioner with Remote
You’ll save 10% to 14% with this unit compared with others. For the money, you’ll receive a basic window AC with remote and good features.
Features: This AmazonBasics window AC has a good set of features.
- Remote (but the remote does not have a thermostat).
- 24-hour Timer.
- AC, Dry, Fan-only and Sleep Modes.
- Dirty filter alert.
- 3 cooling levels and 3 fans speeds.
Volts: 115 Volts.
Ratings: 80% to 85% of users give this unit high ratings and good reviews for reliability and air conditioning. The ratings are slightly lower than the two units above it on the list.
Pros: Good performance and features at the lowest price of any window air conditioner on this list. That’s good value.
Cons: It has a significantly higher percentage of bad reviews – about 15%. Most complaints are that the Amazon window AC is built cheap and has poor quality. However, as noted, most reviews are favorable.
Bottom Line: You’ll likely be happy with this AC if you’ve had success with AmazonBasics and want to save some money.
#4 FRIGIDAIRE Energy Star 10,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Compact Air Conditioner
The 12.0 EER efficiency is Energy Star certified and will lower your cooling costs compared to an older AC or one that is not Energy Star rated.
It uses safer R32 refrigerant and has an excellent set of features.
Features: This unit is loaded too.
- Remote temperature sensing to ensure that the air where you and the remote are located is cool.
- R32 refrigerant.
- 5 Modes – AC, Fan-only, Auto, Sleep and Dry Modes for custom performance.
- Full-function remote.
- Dirty filter notification.
Volts: 115 Volts – so a standard outlet will do.
Ratings: Reviews and ratings are very good for this unit with a high percentage of users recommending it. That’s why it is on the list – it is highly rated.
Pros: Excellent efficiency, features and R32 refrigerant.
Cons: It’s slightly more expensive than those above it on the list.
Bottom Line: Consider this 10000 BTU window AC if you’ve had success with Frigidaire products in the past.
#5 Koldfront WTC10001W 10000 BTU 208/230V Through The Wall Air Conditioner with 10600 BTU Heater
Best Through the Wall + Heat
This unit is on the list to give you an option you might not have considered.
A through the wall AC is installed in a metal sleeve and usually supported for permanent installation with a platform support on the outside of the house.
The sleeve is fitted into a hole framed in an outside wall. That’s the disadvantage. Creating the framed hole and running a 220/240V line cost $400-$650 unless you’re handy and can do some or all the work yourself.
There are a few advantages.
The unit can be installed exactly where you want it.
- No window is blocked.
- Window units are a security threat. Wall units are not.
- Through the wall ACs produce less indoor noise since the unit is muffled or blocked by the house wall.
- Installation can be permanent – you don’t have to remove the AC during cold months unless you want to, or you can get a cover for it and leave it in place.
- A 230V unit doesn’t use more electricity than a 115V AC because the watts are the same. But 230V models tend to be more durable.
Features: This is a true heat pump. That means it creates heat for cool weather be reversing the flow of refrigerant to capture heat outside and pump it inside, the opposite of what it does in summer. It also has these:
- Remote with all functionality.
- AC, Heat, Dry, Auto, Sleep and Energy Saver Modes provide custom climate control all year.
- 24-hour Timer.
Volts: 230 Volts.
Ratings: While the current number of ratings is limited, they are all positive.
Pros: AC, heat, permanent installation, no window is blocked and it has a lot of features.
Cons: The cost is higher, and the sleeve is an extra expense. The AC, sleeve and support can be bought separately or as a set on the Amazon page.
Bottom Line: If you want to try a through-the-wall unit that can also provide heat to supplement central heating – and you’re willing to pay a bit more – this is an excellent choice.
#6 Frigidaire 10,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Compact Air Conditioner with Temperature Sensing Remote Control
You can save money on a high-quality, highly rated window air conditioner with this Frigidaire model.
Renewed appliances are becoming as popular as certified pre-owned vehicles.
Amazon Renewed says that, “A Renewed supplier who is Amazon-qualified and performance managed, performs a full diagnostic test, replaces any defective parts, and thoroughly cleans the product.”
It comes with a 90-day Replacement or Refund guarantee.
Features: This is a full-featured window AC. It has:
- Temperature Sensing Remote – the sensor in the remote signals the AC to continue cooling until the air around the remote is as cool as you want the air to be.
- Energy Star certified when released in 2016 with an impressive 12.0 energy efficiency rating (EER).
- Modes – AC, Fan-only, Eco to save energy and Sleep
- 3 fan speeds plus Auto, which sets the right fan speed for the cooling needs of the room.
- 3 pints per hour dehumidification.
- Ionizer – negative ions are released to bond with pollutants and allergens to make them easier to filter out of the air.
Volts: 115 volts works with a standard electrical outlet.
Ratings: This unit received excellent ratings and reviews when released. This renewed AC should give you reliable cooling for 5+ years.
Pros: It is efficient, has great features and costs a lot less than a new one with this quality would cost.
Cons: It isn’t new, but its been certified to be in good working condition. It is guaranteed to run like new – or you can return it.
Bottom Line: Amazon’s guarantee says, “Your product is eligible for a replacement or refund within 90 days of receipt if it does not work as expected.”
If you want to save money on a top-of-the-line window AC, this is a good choice.
Is a 10,000 BTU AC the Right Size?
These units are rated for 350-450 square feet. If the room is in that range, the unit should adequately cool and dehumidify it, especially if it’s on the low end of the range.
If it’s close to 450 square feet and especially hot, you might want to consider a larger unit:
- Does it face west and get really warm in the afternoon?
- Is it on an upper floor where the heat rises?
- Does the room have 10-foot ceilings?
- Is it a kitchen, and the oven or stove is often in use?
Any of these factors could mean that a 12,000 BTU window air conditioner is a better choice. With a window AC, it is OK to go up one step to ensure the unit will adequately cool the space.