Wouldn’t it be great to be able to have that same kind of cooling capability when you are away from home? Well, the fact is, there are some options available to you that can provide a limited amount of portable cooling.
The best battery ACs can be taken anywhere, so they are ideal for your home, RV/camper, truck, outdoors and more.
Read on to see the 5 best battery powered air conditioners available today.
The Best Battery Powered ACs
Here is our quick-pick list with links if you want to research more details online. There are full reviews below. And this is your opportunity to purchase one if you’re ready, and get on with your day.
#1 Zero Breeze Mark 2 Portable AC Unit
- True AC for 25 to 40 Square Feet
- Type: Portable Air Conditioner
- Dimensions: 20″L x 10″W x 11″H
- Weight: 16.5lbs
- Warranty: 1 Year
#2 EENOUR Home AC Cooling Unit
- 2350 BTU Cooling Capacity for Small Space
- Type: Semi-Portable Air Conditioner
- Dimensions: 21.26”L x 8.78”W x 11.73” H
- Weight: 31.1lbs
- Warranty: 1 Year
#3 IcyBreeze V2 Pro Portable Air Cooler
- For Personal Cooling
- Type: Wheeled Ice Cooler with Fan
- Dimensions: 23.5”L x 16.25”W x 18.5”H
- Weight: 16lbs Empty
- Warranty: Lifetime
#4 HIFRESH Small Evaporative Air Cooler
- Personal Cooling for Desk/Counter
- Type: Evaporative Personal Air Cooler
- Dimensions: 6.7”W x 5.5”D x 8.6”H
- Weight: 2.46lbs Empty
#5 Socool Fan Personal Air Cooler
- Perfect for Desktop, Counter or Nightstand
- Type: Evaporative Cooler
- Dimensions: 9.72”W x 6.57”D x 6.18”H
- Weight: 2.44lbs Empty
Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
Here’s a closer look at the best portable ACs that go with you anywhere.
#1 – Zero Breeze Mark 2 Portable Air Conditioner
The Zero Breeze is a true air conditioner – meaning that it uses refrigerant to gather and concentrate heat, exhausting it out the back and away from you, leaving the air it blows your way much cooler than the air it takes in.
The Zero Breeze Mark 2 is only available from the manufacturer. But the goal at Pick HVAC is to bring you the best and most accurate information, so you can find exactly what you want.
- Built-in 24V adaptive frequency micro compressor using R134A refrigerant
- Operates with Zero Breeze Mk 2 rechargeable battery, external converter or battery bank
- Modes: Cool, Fan, Sleep, Rocket
- Includes: 24V DC Power Adapter for Wall Outlet, Venting hoses, Outlet duct, Drainage pipe,
- IR Remote Controller
- A true portable AC powered by on-board battery
- 2300 BTU Cooling Capacity
- Lowers outlet temperature as much as 30℉ in 10 minutes
- Will run 3 to 8 hours on Mk 2 Battery depending on setting and environment
- High price tag
- Battery recharge time: About 6 hours (with official power adapter)
In Our View:
This small, fully portable AC unit uses the same technology as a portable room air conditioner, except this one needs no power cord, nor external power pack. Being of the dual hose type, it will not create a negative air pressure in your space, so it will not draw any hot outdoor air in. This unit has received high reviews from truckers, tent and van campers, and others who need to cool a small space while away from grid power.
#2 – EENOUR Portable Air Conditioner, Home AC Cooling Unit, 24V DC & 100-240V AC
This is a genuine air conditioner too, using R134 refrigerant commonly used in cars and trucks. The price is high, but if you want a true AC rather than an evaporative cooler or ice cooler, then your options are limited and expensive.
- Built-in Panasonic twin cylinder compressor
- Cooling Mode, 3 Fan Speeds, Sleep Mode
- AC adapter and power cable, DC cable w/4-pin aviation plug included
- LCD touch panel controls
- No battery; portability is limited to using with a portable 24V battery or power bank
- Temperature display on the control panel only supports Celsius
- Single hose design creates negative air pressure environment in a closed space
In Our View:
This unit stretches the meaning of “battery-powered” since it doesn’t have an onboard battery, but can be connected to one away from the power grid. The EENOUR unit is included in this very limited list because it can be considered “battery powered” as long as you bring an external battery or power supply along in addition to the basic machine.
#3 – Icy Breeze V2 Pro Portable Air Conditioner & Cooler
- Integrated vent and Stay Put flexi-hose to direct air flow
- Quick-detach battery system allows easy battery charging
- Operates on a 12V lithium-ion battery, 12V DC or 110V AC power supply
- Ice lasts up to 7 days in outside temperature of 90°F when not using the air conditioning feature
- Can dispense cold, dry air up to 35°F below the surrounding temperature
- 3 Speed fan blows air up to 25 MPH
- Available with 6 amp hours (Ah) or 10 Ah battery for 1.5 to 6 hours run time
- It’s refrigerant-free, so better for the environment than a freon-based AC
- Battery and charger, 12V power supply, and 110V power supply must be purchased separately
- Requires additional ice after 3-5 hours when cooling
- No latch on lid might allow splashing/leaking when moved
In Our View:
This 38 quart cooler on wheels will circulate 2-3 quarts of ice cold water through a metal coil in the lid, over which a battery powered fan blows cool air to provide cool air. Users report good results when tenting, boating, using in a classic car (no AC), semi trucks, tailgating, and other places where “spot cooling” is needed. This pricey cooler almost doubles in price when accessories are added.
#4 – HIFRESH Small Evaporative Air Cooler and Humidifier
- 4 Ah Built-in Battery lasts up to 13 hours
- Tank holds 1 gallon of water or water and ice
- Can be charged by 5V/2A adaptor or any USB-C (cable included)
- Will Oscillate 90 or full 360 degrees
- Mist/Humidify feature can be constant or intermittent
- As is true with any evaporative cooler, this unit isn’t effective in high humidity.
- No instructions included in some shipments, though a detailed user manual is standard “in the box.”
In Our View:
This product is listed as an “evaporative personal air cooler”. It is designed for up close and personal use, like on your desk or beside your bed or sofa. This one has several features not found on some others at a similar price. The literature suggests it will cool up to 100 square feet, and that is possible in a small room that isn’t super-hot.
#5 – Socool fan Portable Air Conditioner, 5000mAh Rechargeable Battery
- Large 700ml (23.5 oz) water/ice tank lasts up to 12 hours
- Rechargeable: Built-in 5 Ah battery supports up to 9 hours running time
- 3 Adjustable Airflow and Cooling Levels
- Oscillates 120 degrees for larger coverage area
- Small, light, and smart looking
- Requires a 5V/2A adapter for charging (not included)
In Our View:
This is a fairly new evaporative cooler on the market and has many satisfied purchasers so far. Its large capacity water and ice tank mean that it will probably run through the night if it’s being used for a mild cooling effect at the bedside.
Battery Powered Air Conditioner Buying Guide
The choice of battery powered air conditioners is very limited. In fact, only the first two in this list of 5 are true air conditioners, and one of those doesn’t actually have an on-board battery. The last two are correctly called “evaporative air coolers”, while #3 is something of a hybrid.
True Air Conditioners
Air Conditioners use the refrigeration technology that is common in refrigerators, freezers, and all air conditioners that we are familiar with in homes, businesses and vehicles. They have a compressor, evaporator and condenser through which a refrigerant circulates in a sealed loop, transferring warm, humid indoor air to the outdoor environment.
Evaporative Air Coolers
These are also called swamp coolers. They blow air over a water-soaked surface to lower the air temperature somewhat in the immediate front of the machine (through evaporation). As is the case with air conditioners, they come in all sizes, even those large enough for industrial use.
NOTE: Evaporative coolers work best in dry climates, since dry air will cause the moisture to evaporate more readily. In humid, or even average climates, you might end up with moisture on the surface immediately in front of your chosen model, so be careful around computers, etc. And you won’t experience significant cooling.
Check out this map used by evaporative cooler manufacturers to let potential customers know where these units work the best. We recommend them in the Ideal area. In the Marginal zone, you might get some benefit. They are not recommended in the zone where Window or Portable AC Units are recommended instead.
Battery Powered Air Conditioners – Conclusion
So, there are lots of air conditioners and air coolers out there, but as soon as we insert the words, “battery powered”, we find that only very small units are available. That’s why even the largest model on our list only claims to cool about the space of a small car, the back of a van, the sleeper compartment semis/trucks, or similar area.
If you are in the market for a battery powered air conditioner, be sure to do your research. Read the information in this review. Talk to friends and read the reviews of people who have purchased some of these models. If you decide to buy, make sure that you are choosing the correct type for your situation. Each of these battery powered air conditioners definitely has its place where it will provide a limited amount of cool air; one of them might be just right for you.
2 thoughts on “5 Best Battery Powered Air Conditioners and Alternatives 2023”
Great job. This is precisely what I needed to know.
Glad you like it and we update this list yearly.