Note: Before you dive into the specific brand review, we highly recommend you to read our elaborate Thermostat Buying Guide in advance, there are several crucial steps you need to take before you even start to think about the brand.
Lennox thermostats are an ideal choice for use with a Lennox HVAC system but many are compatible with other brands too. This Lennox thermostat review and buying guide is your one-stop for research into models, their features, compatibility and Lennox thermostat prices. The information allows you to determine which Lennox thermostat is right for you and to compare Lennox thermostats with those from other leading brands we’ve also reviewed including:
Introduction to Lennox Thermostats
Most Lennox thermostats are sophisticated, feature-rich controls for optimizing indoor comfort and the convenience of controlling your home’s climate. These include smart thermostats and those with touchscreen display. Simpler, more affordable models are offered too, so you’ve got choices to suit your needs and budget.
This table provides a quick overview to compare the capabilities of the six Lennox thermostats.
|Model||Heating Stages||Cooling Stages||WIFI||Communicating||Programmable|
1). Heating column: It is important to know what your system’s capabilities are, so you can match the thermostat to it. There is information in our Thermostat Buying Guide for this purpose, and an HVAC technician can tell you too. If a thermostat is capable of 2 heating stages, for example, it refers to one of the following configurations: a two-stage furnace, a two-stage heat pump, a heat pump with electric backup or a dual fuel system with a single-stage heat pump and a single-stage furnace. There is more information in the Lennox thermostat Installation and Setup Guide, if you enjoy technical specifications and language.
2). Cooling column: The two stages of cooling represent a two-stage compressor in either an AC or heat pump condensing unit (the outside unit).
3). WiFi column: The iComfort models are WiFi-enabled, so they can be monitored and controlled remotely using the Lennox iComfort app for iOS (from the Apple App Store) and Android (from Google play). WiFi plays an important role in the Smart Away feature discussed in the Features Analysis below.
4). Communicating column: We discussed communicating compatibility in the Thermostat Buying Guide, and if you’re not familiar with the concept, it would be worth the time to review it there. The iComfort S30 and iComfort Wi-Fi thermostats are strictly communicating, so can only serve a Lennox brand communicating HVAC system. Here are is list of Lennox communicating HVAC models:
- AC: XC25/XC21/SL18XC1/XC20
- Heat Pump: XP25/XP21/SL18XP1/XP20
- Gas Furnace: SLP98V
The iComfort E30 and all ComfortSense thermostats are universal, non-communicating models, so work with Lennox and other brands of non-communicating HVAC systems.
Lennox Thermostats Features Analysis
Here are key features that distinguish Lennox thermostats and will assist you in your buying decision.
- Schedule IQ: The iComfort models are not programmable in the way we’ve come to understand the term. Instead, they are considered learning thermostats like Nest and Ecobee. You program these thermostats once and later adjust the temperature up or down if your schedule doesn’t match the program. You do this without reprogramming the time you want the changes to occur. The iComfort models log the change and time and incorporate the changes, so they occur automatically from that point on. When you make additional adjustments, the thermostats continue to learn your habits and refine their performance. In one to two weeks, the iComfort Schedule IQ technology learns your schedule quite well. You can always manually (or remotely via the app) adjust the temperature, and that data will be used by Schedule IQ to further tweak performance.
- Smart Away: The iComfort models offer GPS-enhanced technology like Ecobee geofencing. It’s called Smart Away, and it can be turned on or off at your option. When on, the phone’s GPS signals the app that you are leaving home or returning home, and the app adjusts the thermostat settings accordingly. This is the easiest way to save money on heating and cooling while you’re away, though it can be problematic when Smart Away is turned on but others in the household remain at home.
- iComfort Wi-Fi: This thermostat has a touchscreen that displays current weather conditions. It gives you access to a 5-day weather forecast and live weather alerts.
- Amazon Alexa: The iComfort S30 and E30 are among a growing number of smart thermostats that work with Amazon. When the equipment is paired, it gives you hands-free control of the temperature setting.
- Energy Use Reports: The iComfort S30 and the ComfortSense 7500 and ComfortSense 5500 provide you with energy reports that allow you to track your energy use month-over-month from year to year. The reports allow you to gauge the effectiveness of your efforts toward greater energy efficiency.
- Other features: The iComfort models and the ComfortSense 7500 offer a range of useful features, though not all are unique to Lennox. Here are some of them: The one-touch Away Mode allows you to program an “away” schedule that reduces system energy use while you’re away. Customizable service reminders let you know when it’s time to change or clean the filter or schedule regular maintenance. They support systems with a gas furnace and heat pump (dual fuel systems).
Lennox Thermostat Prices
Lennox equipment tends to be priced in the middle to the upper end of its market niche. Here are Lennox thermostats prices for you to compare with those from other brands we’ve reviewed. The price ranges reflect prices charged by various sellers.
Lennox Thermostat Models
|Lennox ICOMFORT S30||
|Lennox ICOMFORT E30||
|Lennox ICOMFORT WI-FI||
|Lennox COMFORTSENSE 7500||
|Lennox COMFORTSENSE 5500||
|Lennox COMFORTSENSE 3000||
How to Get the Best Lennox Thermostat Prices?
As Lennox is a proprietary brand and it is hard to find matched Lennox thermostat (especially for communicating models) directly on local or online store. The best way is finding at least 3 Lennox licensed contractors to compare. You can click here to get 3 free estimates for your local contractor, and this estimate already filtered unqualified contractors automatically.
Once you chose the right contractor, remember to use the tactics from this guide: Homeowners Tactics When Negotiating with HVAC Dealer to get the final best price.
Lennox Thermostat Wiring
Recently, we just completed an In-depth Thermostat Wiring DIY Guide which covers many wiring situations. Once you are lucky enough to find a Lennox thermostat online and want to wire it by yourself, remember to add this guide to your favorite list. If you come across any questions when wiring your thermostat, feel free to ask a question in the comment sections.
Thanks for taking a few minutes on PickHVAC to research thermostats, and feel free to share this information on social media if you believe it would assist other homeowners in their purchase decision.