Note: Before you dive into the specific brand review, we highly recommend you to read our elaborate Thermostat Buying Guide in advance, there are several crucial steps you need to take before you even start to think about the brand.
This Goodman thermostat buying guides is a detailed overview of the three Goodman models including their system capabilities, features and costs. We’ve prepared buying guides to the thermostats manufactured by other HVAC brands and by brands like Nest. Browse these guides for comparisons of features and costs:
If you’re looking for more general information about what to look for in a thermostat, our Thermostat Buying Guide is a good place to start. It discusses key issues like system compatibility, communicating HVAC systems, stages of heating and cooling and extras like WiFi and the benefits of a programmable thermostat.
Introduction to Goodman Thermostats
Goodman builds just three thermostats. One supports Goodman communicating systems and two are universal thermostats that will work with most HVAC brand non-communicating systems. Like all Goodman equipment, the goal is reliable quality at a very competitive cost. Goodman and Amana thermostats are identical in all but name. Both brands are owned by Daikin Global. This table is an overview of the three Goodman thermostat models. Notes follow.
|Goodman Model||Heating Stages||Cooling Stages||WIFI||Communicating||Programmable|
1). Heating and cooling columns: Stages of heating include first, second and modulating furnace stages, first and second heat pump stages and a heat pump with electric backup. Cooling stages come from an AC or heat pump.
2). Communicating column: ComfortNet is Goodman’s communicating system. Communicating equipment shares performance data with the thermostat, so the thermostat can control each component to maximize system efficiency and climate control. A communicating system/thermostat is wired differently than non-communicating equipment. This thermostat will not work with non-communicating equipment. Here is the list of Goodman communicating HVAC system, you can check if your current system is one of them:
- AC: GSXC18/DSXC18/GSXC16/DSXC16
- Heat Pump: DSZC18/DSZC16
- Gas Furnace: GMVM97/GCVM97/GMVC96/GCVC96/GMVC8/GCVC8
The ComfortNet thermostat is not programmable in the traditional sense. Instead, it “interviews” you with display questions such as “when does the first person wake up in the morning?” When you answer the series of questions, the thermostat will automatically program its schedule.
3). WiFi: All units are WiFi-capable but only with the inclusion of a Venstra Skyport Wi-Fi key that costs about $70.
4). Model TSTATG4272GT: This thermostat is produced in two versions with nearly identical performance, the GT4272 and GT4273.
Goodman Thermostats Features Reviews
There’s little that is unique to these thermostats. They cover the basics, but don’t offer anything not available from most other brands.
- CTK04 Accessories: The ComfortNet CTK04 thermostat works with several accessories to optimize performance. They include the RedLINK Internet Gateway for wireless control, a wireless indoor sensor to provide data for balanced temperatures, wireless humidity control and a portable comfort control remote.
- Forecast: Like many WiFi thermostats, Goodman thermostats provide current weather information and a weather forecast on the display.
- Dual Fuel: All Goodman thermostats support systems that include a heat pump and a gas furnace. The value of a dual fuel system is that the heat pump, with its lower operating costs, does the heating when outdoor temperatures allow, and the gas furnace takes over in freezing weather. This allows homeowners in northern climates to benefit from the cost savings of a heat pump but not have to use auxiliary electric heat in very cold temperatures.
Goodman Thermostat Prices
All PickHVAC thermostat buying guides include price tables for quick comparison.
- Goodman CTK04 ComfortNet: $460-$515
- Goodman TSTATG4271GT: $185-$225
- Goodman TSTATG4272GT: $185-$225
As noted, the ComfortNet thermostats only work with Goodman communicating equipment like the GSZC18/DSZC18 heat pump and the GMVM97 and GCVM97 gas furnaces. The other Goodman thermostats work with all brands HVAC equipment.
How to Get the Best Goodman Thermostat Prices From HVAC Technician?
According to the latest report of Homeadvisor, finding at least 3 local contractors to compare will save 23% on average. You can click here to get 3 free estimates from your local contractors, and this estimate already filtered unqualified contractors automatically.
Once you chose the right contractor, remember to use the tactics from this guide: Homeowners Tactics When Negotiating with HVAC Dealer to get the final best price.
Goodman Thermostat Wiring
Recently, we just completed an In-depth Thermostat Wiring DIY Guide which covers many wiring situations. Once you select a Goodman thermostat and want to wire it by yourself, remember to add this guide to your favorite list. If you come across any questions when wiring your thermostat, feel free to ask a question in the comment sections.
Thanks for taking a few minutes on PickHVAC to research thermostats, and feel free to share this information on social media if you believe it would assist other homeowners in their purchase decision.