This article focuses only on mini splits which are designated as “pre-charged” DIY, since they come with the line set* already charged and sealed. All units reviewed in this article are heat pumps, meaning they do the work of either an AC unit or a heater.
In other words, they move heat. In AC mode, they collect heat indoors and release it outside. In Heating mode, they gather heat outdoors and release it indoors.
* Line set – This is a pair of copper lines that transport the refrigerant between the outdoor and indoor components of a ductless mini split system.
Do mini splits come pre charged? Some do, but most do not. More on that in a minute when talking about Mitsubishi.
What Does Pre Charged Mean?
To be pre-charged means the proper amount of refrigerant is sealed under pressure inside the lines when the ductless heat pump is purchased.
Connecting the line set to both indoor and outdoor components according to instructions will result in a system that is fully operational without using any special tools or instruments.
Save Money! And most importantly, you don’t have to hire a licensed heat pump technician at a cost of $300 to $1,000 depending on how much of the installation the technician handles.
Klimaire and MRCOOL
These are the dominant brands in DIY mini split heat pumps and AC units. MRCOOL is often written as Mr Cool – two words.
Does Mitsubishi make pre charged mini split systems? What about Daikin or Fujitsu?
The answer is “no.” Sometimes you’ll see a Mitsubishi or Gree or Pioneer ductless mini split that says, “90% DIY” or similar. What this means is that you can do all of the installation except what must be done by a licensed technician – namely charge the system with refrigerant.
Why? By law in all states, the technician must have the EPA Section 608 Technician Certification to handle refrigerants and to charge systems.
Best DIY Precharged Mini Split Systems
Here are the best pre charged mini split systems in single zone and multiple zone categories. These are quick, bullet-point overviews. The full reviews with more detail are found below.
Single Zone Systems
MRCOOL DIY 12k BTU 22 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System
- Variable-speed DC inverter compressor technology
- 120 Volt operation
- DIY installation with the pre-charged R-410A 25ft Quick Connect line
- Smartphone App control
- Digital Assistant-ready
- Heat and cool a 500 Sq Ft room, garage, workshop, etc.
MRCOOL DIY 18k BTU 20 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System
- Easy Do-It-Yourself installing
- 25ft Quick Connect refrigerant line included
- Gold fin condenser is corrosion resistance
- Wireless remote & Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Serves to 750 square feet
MRCOOL DIY 24k BTU 20 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System
- DC Inverter compressor with Leakage Protection
- DIY unit is installed with standard hand tools
- MRCOOL 25ft Pre-charged line set is included
- No-vacuum installation
- Serves up 1,000 square feet of space
Klimaire DIY 18,000 BTU 19 SEER Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner
- 18,000 BTU high-efficient 19 SEER DIY
- 25-ft of factory pre-charged refrigerant lines
- No vacuum equipment needed
- Easy plug-in 25-ft interconnecting wire cable
- 5 Year Parts 7 Year Compressor Warranty
Klimaire DIY 36,000 BTU 17 SEER Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner
- True DIY w/ 25-foot pre charged lines & wiring
- 5 heating & cooling modes
- Wall mounting bracket included
- iSensor temperature sensor in the remote
- Heats or cools zones to 1,800 square feet
Multi Zone Systems
MRCOOL 24k BTU 22 SEER Multi-Zone DIY 2 Zone Ductless Heat Pump
- Serve one or two zones
- Two 12,000 BTU wall mount indoor units
- Full-function remotes
- Quick Connect refrigerant lines sold separately
- 15’, 25’ 35’ and 50’ refrigerant line sets available
- 7 Year Compressor, 5 Year Parts Warranty.
MRCOOL 36,000 BTU 3-Ton 4-Zone Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump
- DIY 36K BTU Multi-Zone Condenser
- Four 9,000 BTU Wall Mounted Air Handlers
- Four Remotes
- Four 25 ft pre charged Installation Kits
- 4 Line sets included
- Easy DIY installation w/o special tools
Best Precharged Mini Splits Reviews
You will find more complete information in these DIY mini split reviews to assist in your buying decision.
*Quotes from verified purchasers: Some of the reviews below include quotes from consumers we’ve verified have purchased the ductless system.
MRCOOL Branded Systems
MRCOOL is the leading brand of pre-charged mini split systems. Their 3rd Generation Energy Star series is available in 4 sizes from 12,000 to 36,000 BTU. These are single-zone models. The DIY Multi-Zone series is available in 9,000 to 36,000 BTU models which can handle up to 4 separate indoor units.
Concerning their DIY line sets, MRCOOL advertises, “100% Accurately Pre-charged R410A Refrigerant standard sizes: 15ft, 25ft, 35ft, 50ft.” More than one line set can be connected with their No-Vac Couplers to securely extend the total length of the line set up to 75 feet.
All MRCOOL DIY precharged mini split systems come with their standard 5-year limited parts warranty, a 7-year compressor warranty, and a 1-year remote warranty for the original registered owner.
MRCOOL DIY 12k BTU 22 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System 3rd Generation
If you’re looking for one unit to serve a single small room to medium-sized room, this is a highly rated choice.
- 12,000 BTU Cooling and Heating
- Leakage Detection Alarm Protects Your Investment
- Energy Star Certified 22 SEER, 10 HSPF
- 120V Operation
- Easy DIY Installation
- Digital Assistant Ready; Smartphone App Control from Anywhere
- Low Ambient Cooling down to 5°F
- Comes with MRCOOL’s pre-charged line set that is simple to install with ordinary wrenches.
- “Heats and cools my 450sqft area nicely. Easy as pie to set up, took about an hour with the help of a friend.”
- SmartHVAC app is compatible with Alexa and Google assistant or can be controlled by an Apple or Android smart device with an Internet connection.
- The covering for the line set doesn’t seem durable for outdoor exposure.
- “Be aware that you will need a new electrical circuit if you do not have one set up already.”
- Customer service doesn’t match the quality of the product.
Our conclusion: With 92% of buyers giving this model a 4 star rating or higher, it is obviously one of the best of the 12k DIY units available today. Lots of features and options make this one a winner in the DIY category of ductless mini splits.
MRCOOL DIY 18k BTU 20 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System 3rd Generation
Most Efficient Mid-Size
You’ll enjoy lower energy costs and greener heating and cooling with this top-rated DIY mini split heat pump system.
- 18,000 BTU Cooling and Heating capacity
- 20 SEER, 10 HSPF
- Low Refrigerant Alert
- Sleep Mode – When in this mode, unit will automatically adjust the temperature to maximize comfort during nighttime sleep
- Remote, IR WiFi Thermostat, and WiFi Smart Kit Included
- Warranty: 7 year compressor, 5 year parts
- “The unit cooled through the Texas summer with no problems. The best feature is the humidity removal from the house.”
- “Fairly easy to install for someone who is a little handy.”
- Equipped with Auto, Sleep and Timer abilities.
- Includes new MRCOOL Mini-Stat IR Wi-Fi thermostat.
- “The Vinyl tape they use to wrap the refrigerated lines took a good part of the installation time.”
- Some have found the 25 ft. line set a bit difficult to manage, since it can’t be shortened.
- A DIY project for experienced DIYers.
Our conclusion: This MRCOOL mini split has a lot going for it. Verified purchasers report ease of installation. Being Energy Star certified is always a plus. And with 86% high customer ratings, this 18K pre-charged mini split is a great choice to heat or cool up to 750 square feet.
MRCOOL DIY 24k BTU 20 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System 3rd Generation – Energy Star 240V with Line Set Cover & IR WiFi Thermostat
Best Features on a 24K
This is a large, full-featured ductless mini split heat pump system. DIY installation is quite easy.
- 24,000 BTU Cooling and Heating capacity
- 22 SEER, 10 HSPF
- System includes 24K Outdoor Condenser, pre-charged 25’ Quick Connect line set, control wires, indoor wall mounted unit, and cover for the line set on exterior of building
- Smart Remote Control for each indoor unit
- Low Refrigerant Alert, Auto Restart
- Energy Star certified
- Warranty: 7 year Compressor, 5 year Parts
- High efficiency and quiet operation.
- Heats or cools up to 1,000 square feet.
- Follow Me feature on remote to sense temperature wherever the remote is located.
- “I’m so impressed, thinking about getting another one for the garage.”
- Depending on the space’s layout, this unit might not evenly heat and cool large spaces.
- “Had trouble with customer service; lack of service.”
Our conclusion: This 24K single zone mini split offers efficient cooling and heating with a high SEER of 22. Customers rate it 4.7 out of 5, so it has to be user friendly when it comes to DIY installation.
MRCOOL 24k BTU 22 SEER Multi-Zone DIY 2 Zone Ductless Heat Pump Split System – 12k+12k
Best 2 Zone
The same quality built into the Best Overall MRCOOL mini split heat pump above is found in this dual zone mini split.
- 24,000 BTU Cooling and Heating capacity for 2 zone operation.
- 22 SEER
- Each 12,000 BTU wall mounted indoor unit can cool or heat up to 500 square feet.
- Included remote allows you to control the unit from anywhere in the room.
- Warranty: 7 year Compressor, 5 year Parts.
- Great flexibility with the ability to choose line set length at the time of purchase.
- Smart HVAC Controller makes it compatible with smartphone or tablet.
- “So nice to have two normally hot rooms cool now with this AC unit.”
- Be aware that the pre-charged Quick Connect line sets must be ordered separately. However, this allows you to choose from 4 lengths: 15, 25, 35 or 50 feet to meet your needs.
Our conclusion: Being able to control the temperature in two separate rooms is a huge advantage for this mini split. MRCOOL has a great reputation for quality products and ease of installation with their pre-charged systems. This one is no different.
MRCOOL 36,000 BTU 3-Ton 4-Zone Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump with 25 ft. Install Kit, 230-Volt/60 Hz
Best 4 Zone
This is an ideal solution for an apartment, condo or small home.
- 36,000 BTU Cooling or Heating divided into 4 zones
- 21.5 SEER, 11 HSPF.
- Automatic Shutoff
- Defrost, Fan only option
- Mobile App
- Multi-zone compatible
- Warranty: 5-year Parts/7-year Compressor/1-year Remote
- 4 zones independently controlled is a great feature.
- Quiet and economical.
- “Great product. You can install it yourself. Save a lot of money.”
- Remote seems to be off by a few degrees.
- “Customer service is not willing to help …!!!”
Our conclusion: This multi zone mini split may well be the answer to all your cooling and heating needs. With up to 4 zones, it will distribute cool air on the hottest summer days, yet it can effectively heat even when the outdoor temperature is -13F.
Klimaire Branded Systems
For over a quarter century, Klimaire has delivered value and comfort to homeowners They have millions of units sold in more than 70 countries around the world. Their products are tested daily in some of the world’s harshest weather conditions, such as the freezing Canadian Rockies, the scorching hot Arabian Desert, the salty air of the Caribbean, and the rainy tropical climate of the Amazon jungle.
These are true pre-charged ductless mini split heat pumps with sealed line sets are available in 5 models from 12,000 to 36,000 BTU.
Klimaire DIY 18,000 BTU 19 SEER Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner w/ 25-ft Pre-Charged Quick-Connect Installation Kit – 230V
Most Economical 18K
This is a high-quality yet affordable DIY heat pump mini split, and that is the definition of good value.
- 18,000 BTU cooling and heating capacity.
- 19 SEER
- Smart Life App allows you to access comfort control features with your smartphone or tablet.
- “I Feel” Remote Control with Wall Bracket Holder
- A set of Healthy Filters for better indoor air quality
- Self-clean feature
- Remote Control with Wall Bracket Holder
- Heavy Duty outdoor unit wall mounting bracket included
- Unlimited free technical support
- “Easy install, nice and quiet, works great.”
- Lower efficiency ratings than some other comparable units
Our conclusion: This 18K model is one of the more popular sizes for both cooling and heating average-sized rooms. Customer ratings from verified purchasers tell us that this would be a wise choice for the average DIYer who wants to save the cost of professional installation.
Klimaire DIY 36,000 BTU 17 SEER Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner w/ 25-ft Pre-Charged Quick-Connect Installation Kit – 230V
Best Features in a 36K
In addition to AC and Heating modes, this unit has a Dry mode, which dehumidifies the space without affecting temperature. That’s a great choice for muggy days when you don’t need heating or cooling.
- 36,000 BTU Cooling and Heating capacities.
- 17 SEER, 10 HSPF.
- Dry Mode, Auto Mode, Sleep Mode, Turbo Mode, ECO-Mode
- Auto Clean, 3D Air Flow, Auto-Restart, Long Air Discharge
- Exceptional cooling and heating capacity (heating down to -13 °F & cooling 5°F)
- Warranty: 5 year Compressor, 5 year Parts.
- Plenty of features make this unit very user controllable
- Air filtration rated high with most buyers
- “Easy no-vacuum install and very clear instructions.”
- “Noise level is a bit high”
- Customer support does not receive high ratings
Our conclusion: If you are looking for a true DIY mini split system with lots of features, this one might be for you. With the capacity to cool or heat a lot of space while purifying the air, the Klimaire 36K single zone unit looks good to us.
Pre-Charged Mini Split Buyers Tip
Because DIY pre-charged mini splits use line sets that cannot be shortened without losing their charge, be sure to measure the distance between where the outdoor unit will be and where the indoor unit(s) will be located. Some models are available with the ability to add another line set while maintaining the seal; others are not. Do your research and buy wisely.
Mini Split DIY Installation Tips
Here’s a great link to help you get started with your DIY installation.