This low profile ceiling fans reviews and guide covers three important topics:
Best Low Profile Ceiling Fans: We’ve compiled a list of the best small ceiling fans. There are both indoor and outdoor fans for you to consider
Check out prices at Amazon on the fans that interest you. It’s easy to make your purchase, and get on with your day.
Low Profile Ceiling Fan Reviews: These are detailed reviews of these fans, also called compact ceiling fans
Buying Guide: The low profile ceiling fan buying guide has tips for sizing a ceiling fan, features available and more.
Best Low Profile Ceiling Fans
Indoor fans are listed before outdoor fans. Each type is listed smallest to largest.
- Indoor fan, 23", 3 blades
- 3 speeds, max Airflow 1,360 cfm
- With vintage light kit and remote
Harbor Breeze Mazon
- Indoor fan, 44", 3 blades
- 3 Speeds, Max Airflow 4,545 Cfm
- With light kit and remote
Hunter 59243 Dempsey
- Indoor fan, 44", 4 blade
- Variable Speeds, Max Airflow 2,997 Cfm
- With light and remote
- Indoor fan, 52", 5 blades
- 4 Speeds, Max Airflow 5,415 Cfm
- Remote and light kit are available – not included
Minka Aire F711-PN Delano
- Indoor fan, 52", 5 blades
- 2 Speeds, Max Airflow 5,634 Cfm
- Remote is available – not included
- With light
- Outdoor fan, 30", 3 blades
- 4 Speeds, Max Airflow 2,278 Cfm
- Remote and light kit are available – not included
- Outdoor fan, 42", 3 blades
- 6 Speeds, Max Airflow 3,743 Cfm
- No light kit, with remote
Hunter 53119 Sea Wind
- Outdoor fan, 48", 5 blades
- 3 Speeds, Max Airflow 4,072 Cfm
- Remote control is available – not included, no light kit
Hunter 53323 Newsome
- Outdoor fan, 52", 5 blades
- Variable Speeds, Max Airflow 5,226 Cfm
- Light kit available, no remote
Also Called: Low profile ceiling fans are also called flush mount ceiling fans, snugger ceiling fans (or snuggers) and hugger ceiling fans (or huggers).
These fans are designed for installation where overhead room is limited, typically ceilings less than 9 feet high.
Reviews of the Best Low Profile Indoor Ceiling Fans
These fans need a dry location indoors. Their electrical works and motor aren’t watertight.
#1 Fanimation Studio Collection LP8350LAZ
This flush mount ceiling fan with 23” diameter is ideal for small rooms like a den, small kitchen or bedroom.
The look is pure vintage right down to the old-fashioned bulb shape and the fan cage design on these low profile ceiling fans.
Features: Dark “aged bronze” finish, 3 blades, 4 (40W) bulbs, 23” fan
- Handheld remote
- 1/3/6-hour timer
- 3-speed reversible motor
- Looks awesome with the subway tiles and dark counters in the kitchen. Guests love it.
- Wired to a wall control, so I can use either to turn it on – but can only adjust speeds with the remote.
- Hums gently like a classic fan, so if a little white noise bothers you, beware. We don’t notice it unless listening for it.
Not made in other colors. Replacement bulbs are available in 60 watts.
#2 Harbor Breeze Mazon Ceiling Fan with Light Kit and Remote
This is a contemporary beauty in brushed nickel, bright and sleek. The mid-body blade location sets it apart.
Features: 3 blades, 18W LED/600 Lumen light. 44” fan diameter.
- LED lights.
- Remote control.
- Reversible fan for year-round use.
- Clean, modern style at a good price.
- Installation was easy – and we had no prior experience.
- Quiet operation on all three fan settings, even in a bedroom.
Comes in 42” Gun-metal and 52” black options. These options can be chosen on the Amazon product page provided.
#3 Hunter 59243 Dempsey Ceiling Fan with Light & Remote
The nice contrast between the light body and dome and the dark blades is striking and handsome. A four-blade fan gives a contemporary, balanced vibe.
Features: 4 blades, 2 (9.8W) LED lights. 44” fan diameter.
- Handheld remote.
- Reversible motor.
- Reversible composite blades – black oak & chocolate oak.
- Excellent installation instructions and packaging of the parts made the job easy.
- Cheap standard bulbs can be used.
- Fan quality is excellent. The remote seems a little cheap, but it works fine, so no problem.
Not made in other colors, though Hunter makes thousands of fan models that can be browsed here.
#4 Emerson CF905ORB Prima Snugger Ceiling Fan with Wall Control
This Emerson ceiling fan is hard to beat for classic good looks. The dark and rich oil-rubbed finish blends well with dark ceiling fans and forms a nice contrast to lighter tones.
This fan is highly rated for durability and performance.
Features: 5 blades, no light. 52” fan diameter.
- 4-speed wall control.
- Reversible motor.
- Blades are reversible – Dark Cherry on one side, Walnut on the reverse side.
- A light kit like this one can be added.
- Has been in steady use for several years without a problem.
- Removing the blades and turning them upside down to reveal the lighter color was easy.
- We purchased the remote for added convenience.
A few consumers claim the fan is a bit noisy – a whirring sound rather than an annoying screeching – on high speed.
#5 Minka Aire F711-PN Delano Ceiling Fan
This Minka Aire ceiling fan looks high-end and runs like a champ without breaking the budget.
The silver blades with a Polished Nickel finish bring contemporary luxury to any space. Flush mounting makes it a very low profile ceiling fan.
Features: 5 blades, two 50-watt halogen light. 52” fan diameter.
- Light is dimmable.
- Compact, 11” drop for low ceiling fans.
- Wall-mount control.
- Remote is available – not included.
- A cut above what you find at home improvement stores.
- Moves an amazing amount of air.
- Loved the first in the living room, so ordered a second for a master bedroom.
Also available in Dark Restoration Bronze finish, which is gorgeous.
Reviews of the Best Low Profile Outdoor Ceiling Fans
These small ceiling fans are designed for damp areas such as covered outdoor porches and patios, humid sunrooms and similar settings.
#6 Emerson CF130WW Tilo Ceiling Fan, Light Kit Adaptable
This Emerson ceiling fan boasts modern styling, good airflow for its size and is suitable for damp locations like bathrooms and covered porches.
Features: 3 blades, 30” fan diameter. No lights, but a light kit can be added quite easily.
- A very compact fan, but it delivers all the air we need in our 10x18 room.
- Produces more airflow than the 36” fan it replaced.
- It’s been running great for 3 years – no issues, and very quiet.
- The light kit might not be suitable for damp areas, if you decide to add one.
This is the Appliance White model. It is also available on the Amazon product page in Brushed Steel and Oil Rubbed Bronze.
#7 Matthews IR3H-PARENT, Irene Ceiling Fan with Remote
This Matthews ceiling fan features sleek, minimalist design that is suitable for damp locations. It is a popular choice for covered porches, sunrooms, kitchens and bathrooms.
The blades are solid walnut and very pretty.
This is a top-quality fan, and it shows in every detail.
Features: 3 blades, 42” fan diameter. No light kit is available.
- Flush mount for compact, space saving.
- Control can be handheld or mounted on the wall.
- Solid wood blades stained and sealed for weather protection.
- Fan motor is whisper quiet. No wobble – just smooth operation.
- I submitted a question to the manufacturer, and it was answered within a day with the information I wanted.
- Attractive looks and performance make it worth the money.
On the Amazon product page, you can select this fan in Textured Bronze shown here, but also in these body colors: Brushed Brass, Brushed Nickel, Polished Chrome, White and Matte Black. The blades are Solid Walnut for all.
#8 Hunter 53119 Sea Wind Ceiling Fan
Consider this Hunter ceiling fan when you want a big, breezy fan for damp locations.
Sure, the blades are plastic, but that means they will never peel or absorb moisture and swell. It’s a durability factor built into this quality but affordable damp location ceiling fan.
Features: 5 blades. No light kit, since it is an outdoor ceiling fan. 48” fan diameter.
- Reversible motor optimizes comfort in all seasons.
- 3 fan speeds.
- Hunter Universal 3-speed remote is available as an accessory.
- Hard-working and durable here in Atlanta after using this fan for 4+ years.
- Excellent value for the $, and installation was a snap.
- Changes speed slowly, so there’s no loud transition that makes the fan wobble (like others we’ve had).
- Slight chemical smell out of the box (I’m sensitive), but it’s gone after four days.
- Fabulous airflow!
- Plastic blades DO NOT look cheap – visiting friends mistake them for wood.
Hunter makes fans in all styles for damp locations.
#9 Hunter Fan Company 53323 Ceiling Fan
It’s clear that Hunter manufactures fans with good quality, durability and value.
Plus, this Hunter ceiling fan is beautiful in a classic, vintage way. It could pass for being from the first half of the last century. Elegant. Sophisticated. Reliable.
Features: 5 blades, light kits are available. 52” fan diameter.
- Reversible motor.
- Fan blades are reversible – Roasted Walnut on one side, Medium Walnut on the reverse side. Flipping the blades takes a screwdriver and about 5 minutes per blade.
- Variable-speed motor allows you to customize airflow.
- A huge help to the air conditioner in humid weather.
- Smooth fan, very quiet without noticeable wobble.
- We bought 4 of these, and one was damaged. Got a return and new unit in 3 days.
As one of the largest ceiling fan manufacturers, Hunter makes many 52” ceiling fans.
Low Profile Ceiling Fan Buying Guide
This guide is a short summary that covers essential topics and buying tips for low profile ceiling fans.
If you want to research all aspects buying a ceiling fan, full details are available in our Best Ceiling Fan & Buying Guide.
The full guide also discusses using a ceiling fan vs using a central AC to cool your home.
Low Profile Ceiling Fan Pros and Cons
Ceiling fans can improve your home’s energy efficiency. That topic is covered in the PickHVAC Ceiling Fan Buying Guide.
This section relates specifically to compact ceiling fans.
Low Profile Ceiling Fan Pros
What does a flush mount ceiling fan do for you? Here are the advantages.
Low Profile Ceiling Fan Cons
Most of the pros and cons are the same as those for any ceiling fan. Here are a few related specifically to low profile ceiling fans.
Downrod Availability: Small ceiling fans are packaged for low ceiling fans. As a result, if you choose one for a ceiling higher than 9 feet, you will probably have to buy a separate downrod. There might not be a downrod with the same finish as your fan.
Small Ceiling Fan Types
Like all ceiling fans, compact ceiling fans are available in three types:
Dry/Indoor Ceiling fans: Should be installed in indoor areas without high humidity.
Damp/Outdoor Ceiling Fans: These outdoor ceiling fans are designed for covered areas. Humidity is OK, but direct rain or snow might harm them.
Wet/Outdoor Ceiling Fans: Outdoor ceiling fans with this rating can be installed when rain or snow will fall on them. They are installed in pergolas and similar locations without a solid roof.
Ceiling Fan Lighting
Adding lighting to the fixture covers two needs in one fan.
Most indoor small ceiling fans have lights. If not, a light can be attached to the bottom of the fan. The accessory is called a light kit.
Most outdoor ceiling fans do not include lights, but many will accommodate an added light kit. Like porch lights or similar outdoor lighting, the light kits are designed to withstand wet outside conditions.
Low Profile Ceiling Fan Sizing
It is important to make sure the fan will move enough air to create a breeze in summer and circulate heat in winter.
Here is a ceiling fan sizing guide.
Browse these small ceiling fans on Amazon. Check prices, features, customer reviews and more. There is no obligation to buy and no added costs if you do decide to buy one of the top low profile ceiling fans on this list.