Note: Before you dive into the specific brand review, we highly recommend you to read our elaborate Central Boiler Buying Guide in advance, there are several crucial steps you need to take before you even start to think about the brand. Or you can browse our best residential boiler brand review to check what are the Best Top 9 Boiler Brands.
Slant Fin makes one of the largest and best-selling lineups of boilers available today. It’s hydronic baseboard systems are top-rated in their class. The name is technically written Slant/Fin to emphasize the design. The company remains a privately-held, family-owned business.
This Slant Fin boilers review covers all residential boilers including current Slant Fin boiler prices and specs for you to compare with other brands you’re considering. For further research, see our boiler guides to Peerless, Utica, Buderus, Weil McLain, Carrier, Lennox and more.
Introduction to Slant Fin Boilers
Slant/Fin makes a wide range of residential boilers including high-efficiency and standard gas boilers, oil boilers and electric boilers. Here’s an overview table with the specs of all available models.
|CHS||Gas||0.95||Stainless steel||85-399 MBH||Direct|
|VSL||Gas||0.92||Stainless steel||30-160 MBH||Direct|
|VSL II||Gas||0.92||Stainless steel||90-250 MBH||Direct|
|Sentry||Gas||0.844||Cast iron||34-150 MBH||Chimney|
|Sentinel||Gas||0.823||Cast iron||70-210 MBH||Chimney|
|Victory VSPH||Gas||0.861||Cast iron||60-180 MBH||Direct|
|Galaxy GG||Gas||0.84||Cast iron||250-399 MBH||Chimney|
|Galaxy GX/GXH/GXHA||Gas||0.82||Cast iron||105-300 MBH||Chimney|
|Intrepid Water||Oil||0.86||Cast iron||89-358 MBH||Chimney|
|Intredip Steam||Oil||0.855||Cast iron||34-150 MBH||Chimney|
|Intrepid Direct Vent||Oil||0.872||Cast iron||103-132 MBH||Chimney|
|XL 2000||Oil||0.85||Cast iron||121-138 MBH||Chimney|
|Monitron EH||Electricity||N/A||Cast iron||27-137 MBH||N/A|
|Monitron Deluxe||Electricity||N/A||Cast iron||27-137 MBH||N/A|
- MBH stands for 1,000 BTU/h, so 85MBH = 85,000 BTU/h input. Output = input x efficiency.
- Monitron EH and Deluxe electric boilers are available in 240V or 208V models, single phase or three-phase, in capacities from 8-40kW.
- CHS, VSL, VSL II, Sentry, Sentinel, Victory VSPH and all Intrepid Series boilers comply with the new Department of Energy 2021 Energy Conservation Program with guidelines that are not as stringent as Energy Star guidelines.
How Slant Fin Boilers Compare to Other Brands
Slant/Fin makes a lineup comparable in range to many top brands, especially Laars in scope and efficiency of the model range. Energy efficiency in the most efficient models is average for the industry. CHS and VSLII wall-hung gas boilers meet Energy Star criteria.
Slant Fin Boilers Features Analysis
There are three things to note about Slant/Fin boiler features:
Slant fin makes two electric boilers, the Monitron EH and Monitron Deluxe. These systems are sometimes installed where no other fuel source is available. However, electric heating is the least efficient and most expensive type of heating. Slant Fin markets its electric boilers as backup boilers for oil or gas systems when fossil fuel isn’t available in the short-term. The units can run on generators.
Slant Fin is one of only a few large boiler companies that makes entire hydronic systems including baseboard radiators, not just the boiler system. There are standard baseboard units and the Decorator Series of attractive radiators with baked enamel finishes in a range of colors. It’s worth noting that the company began as a manufacturer of radiators with a slanted fin design. It began making boilers more than 15 years after its founding in 1947.
Several Slant/Fin boilers are available in pink as part of the company’s Heating for a Cure charity that supports the National Breast Cancer Foundation. This includes the Sentry S-90 and S-120 boilers.
Slant Fin Boiler Prices
How much does a Slant Fin boiler cost? Here are accurate prices for all Slant Fin models. See our guides to the other top brands to compare Slant Fin boiler prices to boilers with similar features made by other brands. Slant Fin boilers are among the most expensive in the industry, but they offer premium quality and very good warranty coverage.
- CHS prices: $2,625-$8,600
- VSL prices: $1,285-$2,675
- VSL II prices: $2,285-4,350
- Sentry prices: $1,250-$1,675
- Sentinel prices: $1,300-$2,035
- Victory VSPH prices: $1,85-$2,400
- Galaxy GG prices: $2,785-$3,350
- Galaxy GX/GXH/GXHA prices: $2,000-$3,685
- Intrepid Water prices: $2,995-$4,375
- Intrepid Steam prices: $2,685-$3,500
- Intrepid Direct Vent prices: $2,750-$3,725
- XL 2000 prices: $2,385-3,550
- Monitron EH prices: $1,300-$2,465
- Monitron Deluxe prices: $1,485-$2,675
These prices are for the boiler only. Installation and any accessories to connect the boiler to an existing series of radiators or to a inground hydronic system are not included. Your options are to:
- Buy the boiler and install it yourself
- Buy the boiler and hire an installer for $1,500-$3,000 depending on the complexity of the installation
- Hire a heating contractor to supply and install the boiler
If you hire an installer or heating contractor, you’ll get the best prices from a qualified installer if you request written estimates from several with a good reputation. We can also supply you with local estimates from some of the top pre-screened, licensed installers and heating contractors in your area with our Free Local Quotes offer.
How to Get the Best Slant Fin Boiler Prices?
Firstly, When you looking for the best deals for Slant Fin boiler, keep in mind that installation quality is always the most important thing for residential HVAC project.
- So never sacrifice contractor quality for lower price.
- Secondly, remember to look up the latest tax credit and rebates.
- Thirdly, ask for at least 3 bids before you make the decision. You can click here to get 3 free estimates for you local contractor, and this estimate already takes rebates and tax credit into consideration and filter unqualified contractors automatically.
At last, once you chose the right contractor, remember to use the tactics from this guide: Homeowners Tactics When Negotiating with HVAC Dealer to get the final best price.
If you have boiler, feel free to submit a review. Also, if you’ve installed a boiler or other HVAC equipment in the last 3 years, share your HVAC price. Other readers will benefit from your experience!