Note: Before you dive into the specific brand review, we highly recommend you to read our elaborate Central Boiler Buying Guide in advance, there are several crucial steps you need to take before you even start to think about the brand. Or you can browse our best residential boiler brand review to check what are the Best Top 9 Boiler Brands.
Our Carrier boilers review is your one-stop place to research this brand’s products, efficiencies and features. Current Carrier boiler prices are given to, so comparing Carrier and Peerless boilers – or Utica boilers, Weil McLain boilers and others we’ve reviewed – can be done right here.
Carrier is one of the largest HVAC manufacturers in the world. The brand has shown innovation in performance and efficiency during the last 70 years. It’s boiler products are more of an afterthought; Carrier wants to have a presence in the boiler market to attract consumers that prefer the Carrier name.
Introduction to Carrier Boilers
Carrier barely covers the bases with five gas and two oil boilers. Just one, the Carrier Comfort 80 gas boiler, creates steam. Here is the lineup chart:
|Performance 95||Gas||0.95||Stainless steel||50-299 MBH||Direct|
|Performance 90||Gas||0.9||Cast aluminum||45-90 MBH||Direct|
|Performance 84||Gas||0.84||Cast iron||36-186 MBH||Chimney/Direct|
|Comfort 82||Gas||0.84||Cast iron||45-295 MBH||Chimney/Direct|
|Comfort 80||Gas||0.83||Cast iron||65-295 MBH||Chimney/Direct|
|Performance 86||Oil||0.86||Cast iron||80-209 MBH||Barometric Damper|
Related Read: Heat Exchanger: Aluminum vs Cast Iron vs Stainless Steel
- Note on heating capacity: MBH = 1,000 BTU/hour, so a 50-299MBH boiler has an input capacity of 50,000 to 299,000 BTU/hour. Output = input x efficiency. A 90MBH, 90% boiler has an output of 81MBH.
- Note on model numbers: All Carrier series boilers have a specific series identifier: Performance 95 (BWM), Performance 90 (BW9), Performance 84 (BW3), Comfort 82 (BWB), Comfort 80 (BS2) and Performance 86 (BW4 and BW5).
- Note on the Performance 86 Series: The Performance 86 oil-fired boiler is made in two series, the BW4 and BW5. The difference is that the BW5 Series includes a tankless coil for domestic hot water production. Other brands call this type a Combi or combination boiler.
How Carrier Boilers Compare to Other Brands
There are three areas worth noting:
- Limited model range: Carrier makes just seven boiler series, and none of them get the top-of-the-line Carrier Infinity name. Compare the number of boilers, for example, with the 17 Utica Boiler series and 14 Weil McLain series.
- Energy Star boilers: All Performance 90 boilers and some Performance 86 BW4 and BW5 boilers meet Energy Star criteria.
- Boiler and installation packages only: Carrier boilers are not sold separately. Your only option is to buy a boiler & installation package from a local carrier dealer. This makes overall costs higher for Carrier than for most other brands on comparable boiler models. If you’d like free estimates on Carrier boilers with installation, click here, and our service partner will provide them for you from three local, pre-screened installers.
Carrier Boilers Feature Analysis
With only seven boiler series, there is little that sets Carrier boilers apart. One minor note is that atmospheric-vent Performance 84 and Comfort 82 Series can be sidewall vented when the power venter accessory is added. A power venter like these from Field Controls costs $300-$425 but reduces installation cost and eliminates the need to re-line a chimney.
On the Carrier website, recommendations are given for which Carrier thermostat each boiler works best with. However, Carrier boilers are compatible with any brand thermostat.
Carrier Boiler Prices
How much do Carrier boilers cost? Here are accurate prices for each series. The range of prices reflects the range of capacities in each series. As we noted, Carrier boilers are only sold as part of an installation package, so you won’t find these accurate prices anywhere else. Expect estimates of an additional $1,250-$2,750 for installation depending on the complexity, location and additional features that are part of the package. Hydronic piping and radiators are extra.
Carrier Performance Series gas boiler prices
- Performance 95 prices: $2,885-$4,750
- Performance 90 prices: $3,375-$3,600
- Performance 84 prices: $2,225-$4,150
Carrier Comfort Series gas boiler prices
- Comfort 82 prices: $2,475-$5,885
- Comfort 80 prices: $2,350-$5,675
Carrier Performance Series oil boiler prices
- Performance 86 BW5 prices: $2,375-$3,900
- Performance 86 BW4 prices: $2,235-$3,725
When you receive boiler cost estimates for the unit and installation, choose a company with installers experienced in boiler installation and setup to protect your investment. While boiler quality is important, the installation quality has long-term impact on how efficiently and durably the system runs.
How to Get the Best Carrier Boiler Prices?
Firstly, When you looking for the best deals for Carrier boiler, keep in mind that installation quality is always the most important thing for residential HVAC project.
- So never sacrifice contractor quality for lower price.
- Secondly, remember to look up the latest tax credit and rebates as we talked above.
- Thirdly, ask for at least 3 bids before you make the decision. You can click here to get 3 free estimates for you local contractor, and this estimate already takes rebates and tax credit into consideration and filter unqualified contractors automatically.
At last, once you chose the right contractor, remember to use the tactics from this guide: Homeowners Tactics When Negotiating with HVAC Dealer to get the final best price.