Note: Before you dive into the specific brand review, we highly recommend you to read our elaborate Thermostat Buying Guide in advance, there are several crucial steps you need to take before you even start to think about the brand.
Once a boring accessory needed for little more than to set the temperature for HVAC system, thermostats in the digital age are an essential part of indoor comfort and lifestyle convenience. Carrier thermostats exude this approach to design, especially in the top models. This Carrier thermostat buying guide gives is your research source for the models available, their capabilities, features and costs. For quick comparison, see our buying guides to competitors:
Our Thermostat Buying Guide is a wealth of general information too including thermostat basics, staged heating and cooling, thermostat compatibility and whether “extras” like WiFi and programmability are worth paying for.
Introduction to Carrier Thermostats
Carrier is one of North America’s largest manufacturers of residential HVAC equipment. A United Technologies brand, it is the parent company of Bryant HVAC, and the product lineups of the two brands are nearly identical. Carrier divides its models into Carrier WiFi thermostats and non-WiFi thermostats. This table shows the models and their features.
|Carrier Model||Heating Stages||Cooling Stages||WiFi||Touch Control||Communicating||Programmable||Humidity|
|INFINITY SYSTEM CONTROL||Multiple||Multiple||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|INFINITY REMOTE ACCESS||Multiple||Multiple||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|PERFORMANCE Edge--6 Models||2||1||NO||OPTIONAL||NO||YES||OPTIONAL|
1). Heating and Cooling columns: Staged performance means one or more of the system components offers two-stage or modulating capacity or that more than one source of heating is part of the system. Common examples of multiple sources are a hybrid system with a furnace and a heat pump and a heat pump with electric heat backup.
2). Communicating column: Carrier communicating systems use a communicating thermostat to share performance data to maximize energy-efficiency and indoor comfort. Like all brands of communicating equipment, Carrier Infinity communicating components ONLY work with a Carrier communicating thermostat. Currently, there is no universal thermostat that supports communicating technology. Here is the list of Carrier communicating HVAC system, you can check if your current system is one of them:
- ALL Carrier Infinity Series Air Conditioner
- ALL Carrier Infinity Series Heat Pump
- ALL Carrier Infinity Series Gas Furnace
See our Thermostat Buying Guide for more information on communicating HVAC systems. Non-communicating Carrier thermostats work with equipment from most other brands.
3). Performance Edge Series and Comfort Series: Carrier makes multiple models of these thermostats with slight variations in the features they offer such as humidity control, programmability and Carrier’s Touch-N-Go feature that allows you to press a single button to set the system to “away” mode that reduces system output to energy and cost. That language shouldn’t be confused with touchscreen control, which is a separate feature available on some models that also offer Touch-N-Go.
Carrier Thermostats Features Reviews
Here is an overview of features unique to Carrier thermostats and others worth mentioning as you consider the right brand and model to control your home’s heating and cooling.
- Built-in Router: The Infinity Remote Access thermostat is one of the few WiFi thermostats that includes its own router. However, if you already use a router for your home’s WiFi, it might be preferable to choose the Infinity Remote Access model without a router and use the router you have. Problems with connectivity have been reported when using the built-in router.
- CÔR automation: The CÔR thermostats can be part of a complete CÔR Home Automation system
- WiFi connectivity: All Carrier WiFi thermostats can be controlled via Apple (iOS) and Android phones using the appropriate Carrier app. The apps are available at all app stores.
- Amazon Alexa: Like the top models from many brands, Carrier Infinity and CÔR thermostats work with Amazon Alexa devices and the Alexa app.
- Humidity Control: Models with humidity control have a fan-only mode. When the thermostat is set to AC, the fan will continue to run on a low speed to draw humid indoor air over the cold AC coil. The humidity will condense on the coil and enter the drain, drying the air.
- Weather forecasts: All Infinity WiFi thermostats offer a 5-day weather forecast. The CÔR 7, standard CÔR and the Comfort WiFi thermostats feature a 4-day forecast.
- Hybrid Heat: Carrier calls its dual fuel systems Hybrid Heat. Carrier Infinity and CÔR thermostats support these systems that contain a heat pump for with a backup gas furnace that runs when outside temperatures are too cold (below freezing) for a heat pump to be efficient.
Carrier Thermostat Prices
While many thermostat brands sell their models through local HVAC installers and retail sellers, Carrier predominantly sells its thermostats through certified Carrier installers. This leads to widely varying prices when they do become available through online sellers. There are quite a few Carrier models available on eBay, but be sure to check the ratings, shipping cost and return policy of any seller before making a purchase.
Carrier Thermostat Models
|Carrier INFINITY CONTROL|
|Carrier INFINITY REMOTE ACCESS W/O ROUTER:|
|Carrier INFINITY REMOTE ACCESS W/ ROUTER|
|Carrier CÔR 7C/7|
|Carrier CÔR 5C/5|
|Carrier COMFORT WI-FI||$135-$225|
|Carrier INFINITY TOUCH CONTROL||$385-$450|
|Carrier PERFORMANCE EDGE–6 MODELS||$185-$265|
|Carrier COMFORT — 6 MODELS||$115-$170|
|Carrier PERFORMANCE COMFORTZONE II ZONED SYSTEM — 3 MODELS||$1,100-$1,350|
If you’d like to learn more about a complete Carrier HVAC system, discuss your options with local Carrier dealers using our Free Local Quote tab or calling the toll-free number above. There is no obligation for receiving written estimates from some of the top installers in your area.
When you choose a thermostat, considering returning to PickHVAC to share model and cost information using our Share HVAC Price tab that will assist other readers in their buying decision.
Carrier Thermostat Wiring
Recently, we just completed an In-depth Thermostat Wiring DIY Guide which covers many wiring situations. Once you select a Carrier thermostat and want to wire it by yourself, remember to add this guide to your favorite list. If you come across any questions when wiring your thermostat, feel free to ask a question in the comment sections.
Thanks for taking a few minutes on PickHVAC to research thermostats, and feel free to share this information on social media if you believe it would assist other homeowners in their purchase decision.