Note: Before you dive into the specific brand review, we highly recommend you to read our elaborate Mini-Split Buying Guide in advance, there are several crucial steps you need to take before you even start to think about the brand.
Daikin is a famous Japanese brand in U.S. for both ductless and ducted heating and cooling system. According to ConsumerReport, Daikin has grown to the top 50 central cooling brand and top 5 ductless heat pump brand. In this review, we will analyze the features of Daikin and popular models. Then you’ll see feedbacks from both expert and customer which can give you a comprehensive suggestion for this brand. At last, we will show you the estimated prices, negotiating tactics with you contractor and tax credit information. Ok, let’s get started!
1. Daikin Inverter technology: The Daikin ductless heat pump features inverter heat pump technology which allows the heat pump to increase or decrease compressor speed based on the capacity required to heat up or cool down a room. This technology minimizes indoor temperature fluctuations which in turn reduces energy consumption and offers unmatched room-by-room climate control. The technology ensures there are no variance in the temperature of different rooms as is the case when using a single unit for cooling and heating multiple rooms.
2. Daikin Intelligent Eye infrared sensor: The Daikin mini split heat pump also has an infrared sensor capable of sensing movement in a room. When a person leaves a room for more than 20 minutes, the heat pump will automatically activate it’s energy saving mode using intelligent eye saving approximately 20% and 30% of the energy that would have otherwise been used to continuously cool or heat respectively. The heat pump resumes normal operation when a person enters a room. The intelligent eye sensor is also capable of detecting where a person is in a room and directing airflow power and direction according to the current setting.
3. Usability features (easy to use/quiet operation/comfort): This heat pump is easier to use than most HVAC systems you can think off thanks to features like wireless control and easy-to-read display features which allow you to control the heat pump remotely from anywhere in the room. The heat pump also has a weekly timer that allows users to program operation to match their needs perfectly. The ductless nature of the heat pump makes it easy to install almost anywhere since it doesn’t require a lot of installation space. In regards to quiet operation, Daikin utilizes very unique heat pump designs i.e. natural convention heat distribution and advance inverter heat pump technology to ensure quiet operation. Sound levels average 19dB ensuring a good night’s sleep. The heat pump also has multi-zone capability for unmatched comfort.
4. Reduced energy and installation costs: Daikin boasts of an A++ rating according to European legislation on seasonal efficiency of HVAC units. The Daikin mini split heat pump uses 25% to 40% less energy than electric baseboards. Daikin utilizes inverter technology to match power and load requirements accordingly during heating and cooling. This results in better energy consumption as well as operation costs. This ductless heat pump also eliminates duct-work which accounts for a huge percentage of the total installation cost of HVAC systems.
5. Application and selection variety: The Daikin ductless heat pump is perfect for a variety of temperature control applications in residential and commercial settings. Daikin also has a wide selection of both residential and commercial heat pump systems capable of meeting a wide range of user tastes and preferences. Daikin has units matching all interiors resulting in an unmatched unobtrusive presence.
|Series||SEER||HSPF||Heating From||Duct||Relative Humid Control|
|Skyair||19.3||13.5||N/A||duct & ductless||No|
Skyair is a new mid-end series which is very popular in Southern US. 19.3 SEER (cooling efficiency rating) is enough for saving your power bill in the long run. The only disadvantage is that it can not work efficiently when the temperature drop down to 5˚F. If you live in the northern area, Quaternity or 19 Series will be your first choice. Quaternity is the high-end series with higher efficiency and better humid control.
Confused by the above dazzling models? Actually it is easier to choose the right model than you imagine. All you have to do it choose the most cost-effective “Size” and “Efficiency”. We already had an in-depth guide teaching your how to choose the right size and efficiency ratings. There’s no best model for everyone. The best model changes according to your own condition. We strongly recommendation your read this guide before choosing any Mitsubishi mini-split model.
Daikin Mini Split Air Conditioner Prices By Size
Unit Include: 1 AC Outdoor Unit, 1 Wall-Mounted Indoor Unit, 10 Year Warranty
The average price to install one Daikin mini-split (ductless) air conditioner system is $1,870
One Unit Installed
|Daikin 9K BTU 25 SEER||350-400 sf||$1,040|
|Daikin 12K BTU 23 SEER||450-550 sf||$1,230|
|Daikin 15K BTU 21 SEER||600-700 sf||$1,550|
|Daikin 18K BTU 20 SEER||700-900 sf||$1,800|
|Daikin 24K BTU 20 SEER||800-1200 sf||$2,480||$4,520|
Daikin Mini Split Heat Pump Prices By Size
Unit Include: 1 Heat Pump Outdoor Unit, 1 Wall-Mounted Indoor Unit, 10 Year Warranty
The average price to install one Daikin mini-split (ductless) heat pump is $1,850
One Unit Installed
|Daikin 9K BTU 25 SEER||350-400 sf||$1,240|
|Daikin 12K BTU 23 SEER||450-550 sf||$1,430|
|Daikin 15K BTU 21 SEER||600-700 sf||$1,760|
|Daikin 18K BTU 20 SEER||700-900 sf||$1,950|
|Daikin 24K BTU 19 SEER||800-1200 sf||$2,690||$4,720|
Submitted Mini-split Prices and Reviews
Here are the homeowner-submitted prices and feedback for new installation and replacement. We will update this table every 3-6 months.
Brand & Model & Size
|$3,700||N/A||Topeka, KS||18,000 BTU|
|I received this gadget from Amazon 13 month ago and my heart has been swelling with pride every time I step into the house. Silent air-conditioning and a massive 18,000 BTU power was more that I had bargained for. No disturbance in my sleep as I can simply program the device, thanks to its wireless LCD remote control. Daikin should know they have one satisfied customer.|
|$3,750||20 Series||Washington, DC||11,200 BTU|
|Last summer, I realized that my old heat pump was no longer up to the task and quickly went out to get a new device. A friend had pointed me in the direction of Daikin and had promised I would never regret the decision. Well, I haven’t. 5 months down the line and the machine doesn’t show any signs of fatigue. It is a true reflection of Japanese technology, famed to be among the best in the world.|
|This device is a total disappointment. Not only is it noisy but it is also a source of constant minor earthquakes in the house, thanks to its substantial vibrations. Its massive BTU power of 24,000 is nothing to write home about if we can’t have peace to enjoy our sleep. I would rather dump it for a less powerful but silent machine that does the job just as well. I wouldn’t advise any sane person out there to go for it, and – don’t be fooled by the massive BTU.|
|$7,700||N/A||Little Rock, AR||18,000 BTUx2|
|The Daikin 12,000 BTU 24.5 Seer heat pump carries out its duties diligently and silently but I have a problem with the much-touted energy saving feature it is supposed to have. My power bills have shot through the stratosphere since I started using it 10 months ago. I would love to know if anything can be done about its power consumption so that I wouldn’t have to worry about energy costs. Generally, it is a nice gadget.|
|I wouldn’t mind the hum of the powerful Daikin 24,000 BTU AC so long as it does its job well. I don’t see any sense in going for a quiet but hopelessly ineffective device. The slight vibrations are great for soothing me into a deep slumber! I think Daikin made a big balance between power and noise levels – huge power means you have to sacrifice certain niceties like a quite device. At less than $3,000, it is the best bargain one can ever out there. I have been using it since 18 months ago, and so far, nothing to complain about.|
|My heater obsoleted over a year ago, prompting another visit to Daikin. The replacement wasn’t long in coming and I was able to continue with my life as usual. Though this is not your normal air conditioner as it is designed to save lots of energy, pushing down your energy bills, you will love its efficiency. The machine senses the inactivity in the house and automatically shifts to standby mode, further saving on electricity bills. I have been using it for the last 15 months.|