Note: Before you dive into the specific brand review, we highly recommend you to read our elaborate Central Boiler Buying Guide in advance, there are several crucial steps you need to take before you even start to think about the brand.
Weil McLain boilers are among the most popular brands in the industry. The company is a division of Marley-Wylain, and Weil-McLain boilers are built in the United States.
These hydronic boilers are available in a wide assortment of styles and materials to fit your installation and use requirements. Gas and oil boilers are manufactured to use water and/or steam in delivering heat.
|Evergreen||Gas||95%||Stainless steel||220-399 MBH||Direct|
|AquaBalance||Gas||94%||Stainless steel||80-155 MBH||Direct|
|Ultra Gas S3 CT||Gas||93%||Cast aluminum||80-399 MBH||Direct|
|WM97+ CT||Gas||95%||Stainless steel||70-155 MBH||Direct|
|Eco Wall-mount||Gas||95%||Stainless steel||70-155 MBH||Direct|
|GV90+||Gas||91%||Cast iron||70-175 MBH||Direct|
|CGi Series 3||Gas||85%||Cast iron||50-233 MBH||Direct/Chimney|
|CGa Series 2||Gas||84%||Cast iron||52-245 MBH||Chimney|
|CGt||Gas||82%||Cast iron||133 MBH||Chimney|
|EG||Gas||84%||Cast iron||75-299 MBH||Chimney|
|Ultra||Oil||87%||Cast iron||112-196 MBH||Direct/Chimney|
|WGO||Oil||87%||Cast iron||98-357 MBH||Direct/Chimney|
|WGTO||Oil||87%||Cast iron||98-357 MBH||Direct/Chimney|
Related Read: Heat Exchanger: Aluminum vs Cast Iron vs Stainless Steel
- MBH = 1,000 BTU, so a 220MBH boiler is a unit with 220,000 BTU input (Output = Input x % efficiency)
- Efficiency ranges reflect changes in efficiency; larger units are generally less efficient
- The Weil-McLain EG Series boiler heats via water or steam
- The WGTO Series differs from the WGO in that it includes a tankless water heater for domestic hot water production
Weil McLain Boilers Features Analysis
Here are design features unique to Weil-McLain boilers:
- Many Weil-McLain boilers are manufactured with elastomeric seals over a captured port for proper positioning. This exclusive combination of elastomer durability and the precise positioning reduces leaks while increasing boiler reliability over its lifetime. Elastomeric seals are used in WGO, WGTO, SGO and Ultra Oil boilers.
- The Weil McLain WM97+ CT boiler has a unique condensing stainless steel fire tube heat exchanger design. Condensing technology allows the boiler to capture heat normally lost through the water vapor that is a byproduct of combustion. While condensing technology isn’t unique, the WM97+ design allows this unit to recover an impressive amount of heat to produce a boiler that qualifies for the Energy Star rating.
- Weil McLain GV90+ gas boiler is designed with a 7-pass heat exchanger that maximizes heat transfer and allows the boiler to achieve 91% AFUE efficiency. The design is patented and available only on Weil-McLain GV90+ and other boiler models.
How Weil McLain Boilers Compare to Other Brands
This brand makes a very balanced lineup of gas condensing, gas and oiler boilers that is larger than even Peerless’. Weil McLain has made an investment in wall-mounted boilers that are compact in design. There are four available: Evergreen, AquaBalance, WM97+ and ECO. All are extremely efficient too.
Another investment Weil-McLain has made is in innovation, especially design that extends the life of the boiler. This commitment is seen in the elastomeric seals, fire tube heat exchanger and 7-pass exchanger discussed below. As a result of the innovation and quality in Weil McLain boilers, prices are in the top third of brands. In cases like the Evergreen boilers, prices are among the highest of any residential model.
Warranties are average for the industry for most models. Several have lifetime limited heat exchanger warranties covering material and manufacturing defects. The AquaBalance heat exchanger warranty is only 10 years, shorter than most and the reason that some homeowners do not believe that paying more for a condensing boiler is worth it. They simply are not as durable as non-condensing gas and oil boilers.
Weil McLain Boiler Prices
These accurate, complete Weil McLain boiler prices can be compared with prices for Peerless boilers and other brands we review.
- Weil McLain Evergreen prices: $4,925-$7,450
- Weil McLain AquaBalance prices: $1,985-$3,250
- Weil McLain Ultra Gas S3 CT prices: $2,800-$7,325
- Weil McLain WM97+ CT prices: $3,175-$4,050
- Weil McLain ECO prices: $2,350-$3,095
- Weil McLain GV90+ prices: $2,500-$4,175
- Weil McLain CGi Series 3 prices: $1,625-$4,150
- Weil McLain CGa Series 2 prices: $1,525-$3,285
- Weil McLain CGt Series prices: $2,675
- Weil McLain EG Series prices: $2,845-4,665
- Weil McLain Ultra Oil prices: $2,175-$3,300
- Weil McLain WGO Series prices: $1,500-$3,885
- Weil McLain WGTO Series prices: $1,725-$4,135
- Weil McLain SGO Series prices: $1,900-$3,955
These are costs for the boilers only. Expect to pay $1,500-$3,000 for the installation of a boiler. The complexity of the installation will determine the labor cost. For the best prices on boilers and installation, get written estimates from several top installers in your area.
How to Get the Best Weil McLain Boiler Prices?
Firstly, When you looking for the best deals for Weil McLain Boiler, keep in mind that installation quality is always the most important thing for residential HVAC project.
- So never sacrifice contractor quality for lower price.
- Secondly, remember to look up the latest tax credit and rebates as we talked above.
- Thirdly, ask for at least 3 bids before you make the decision. You can click here to get 3 free estimates for you local contractor, and this estimate already takes rebates and tax credit into consideration and filter unqualified contractors automatically.
At last, once you chose the right contractor, remember to use the tactics from this guide: Homeowners Tactics When Negotiating with HVAC Dealer to get the final best price.